Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Brave pills

Chris__

I've been driving my SLR for a couple of months now, and after getting it back from some work, (windscreen, cage,which should've made things better) I'm still nervous driving it. Huge noise from throttle bodies frightens me more than the passengers I think...

What's the solution then? Will trackdays, a driving course help? Too skint for those at the moment though :(

Chris. 😬

Sounds like you have a big problem here

My advice is to ake propranolol 10mg i hour before you venture forth [as long as you dont have asthma ] -a test dose before you drive is a good idea .

Titrate dose upwards according to anxiety levels -ie up to 20mg,40mg .

Also check your thyroid hormone levels in case this is the cause of your anxiety.

Or get some earplugs .

Alternatively flog it and buy somethinbg a bit tamer ! ☹️

89 BDR 170 bhp yellow / black cycle C6 BJL

Auchterhouse ,Angus

lotus 7 club # 10947

club lotus # 27272

Haha! Didn't realise drugs were the answer!

I am getting on with it, but I certainly feel the car is way too good for my skills!

Is there any car that shows up bad driving and timing skills than a 7?

BTW, any joy in your search for an SLR /sale of the Roadsport Tony?

Edited by - Chris__ on 14 Jun 2004 13:35:20

Chris

I have not been trying hard at all, haven't even bothered to advertise, I just seem to be tooooooo short on hours in the day ☹️ ☹️ ☹️

Just about find enough time to get at least one blat a week in *thumbup*

Chris you will soon get the hang of it - once you do you will enjoy every minute of it *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

Tony

Chris

Recommend an academy day at Heyford with Motorsports Events. £100 will buy you a completely safe push to the limit, learning how to avoid an accident through cadence braking, and a big grin when doing the powersliding stuff. Good and plentiful instruction too. I'm probably going to do the academy 2 day on 24 July.

I'd never driven mine before that day and the next time I took it out was Brands Hatch! Really made a difference.

Only downside is that if you do it properly it won't do your tyres any good... 😬

Andrew

An SLR is some way to start with Caterham ownership. I started with a 'slow' one first.

I used to feel very exposed in the Cat and just got used to being at the same level as Truck wheels.

The main thing for me that made me comfortable with the car was months after passing my motorcycle test and riding around London and on motorways. I was without Caterham for over a year and then when I got my current one after 8500 miles on a bike it feels so comfortable. At least it won't fall over if I catch a bit of gravel!

Apart from riding a bike to overcome any anxiety then more miles are the answer. If you want to learn car control though, do a friendly track day.

If you have a search through chitchat under academy days you'll find a load of posts about them and links to a number of sites with pics of the last couple of events. You spend pretty much all day in the car doing a series of exercises in small groups and a short track session (15 mins) at the end.

Everyone's favourite seemed to be the powerslide oversteering, though I spent a fair bit of time on the green stuff and didn't quite get it right (yet)... I also really liked the slalom, plus you do a couple of tight cone courses (one timed) for car control and cadence braking which is pretty good when you get up to speed. It's there you do your tyres in... *biggrin*

Some people from here have done several of them, there's an academy 1 day on July 17. Check out the MSE website for more details.

http://www.motorsport-events.co.uk/heyford.htm

I'm not surprised, fast sevens are a bit hairy on the road. Take one to the track though and it'll feel just right. No bumps to skit over, no ruts in the road to pull the car all over the place, just smooth tarmac with lots of run off (and no hgv's coming towards you either) Do enough track days and you'll be begging for more power!

Cheaper to take the beta blockers and move to live where there are no other punters on the road-once you move to a civilsed country ,then you wont need the tablets anyway ,and you can lead a stess free life .Come to Scotland *wink*

Auchterhouse ,Angus

lotus 7 club # 10947

club lotus # 27272

doclip

I agree with your comments *thumbup* *thumbup*

I come to Scotland on business (int the tin top unfortunately ☹️), but I always pick what look like good roads on the map and am never disappointed 😬 😬 😬

I love the road from Aberdeen to Perth via Braemar *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

Alicat

Having just been on holiday in the highlands in my Golf rather than the 7, I also concur... Wished I had the 7 many times... though not as much as if it wasn't pissing down all the time!

Intending to book Heyford Academy day tomorrow... here's hoping there's a place available...

Chris.

Chris and Alicat

Roads around Angus and Perthshire are a real joy and usually empty ,and realtively camera and dibble depleted .

Also you get much less rain in the east than the west coast and much lower midge counts ,and less caravans [cf ullapool].

Borrowed a TT 225 bhp[turbo] yesterday from a dealer for a wee bit of fun with my son as it was too wet for the 7 -v dissappointing to drive considering its a quattro -the engine has poor torque low down and just runs out of steam at about 5.5K rpm .The steering felt disconnected from the tarmac with +++ understeer and was frankly no fun .On the plus side the interior is fab and not one rattle and no scuttle shake and brakes are just aweome and roof is amazing .The salesman asked when i came back what it was like and i told him it was crap -he asked what i was comparing to ,so i told him he should try a 7 instead .

regards,Brian

Auchterhouse ,Angus

lotus 7 club # 10947

club lotus # 27272

Buy an old S class V8 5 or 5.6 litre Merc with tired suspension and give it death for a couple of weeks.....the SLR will then feel like the safest, tightest controllable thing you've ever driven *wink*

Kenny SLR400