Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Front anti roll bar

clarkey

I experimented at Curborough this week by removing the front anti roll bar on my Superlight R. It completely transformed the handling, and lowered my fastest times on the day by a second on the short course and over two seconds on the long course (down to 32.9 short, 63 long).

The car became a bit twitchy, but understeer completely disappeared. I will put an ARB back on, but what thickness should I go for? And who are the best suppliers?

Thanks for your help.

If reducing the roll stiffness at the front has made an improvement, then if you're going to put another ARB on the front it makes sense for it to be smaller than the one you took off. Without knowing what that was it's not possible to make a sensible suggestion.

I use an adjustable ARB from Juno (they advertise in Low Flying) - that way I can set it nice 'n' soft for twisty places like Curborough, and nice 'n' stiff for fast scary places like Goodwood.

Mike

The Juno one is supplied by Juno - they advertise in Low Flying. ISTR that it was about 120quid a few years ago.

Non-adjustable ones are a *lot* cheaper. If yours is a 'monster' then it's probably 18 or 19mm. 1/2" would probably be a better bet for an all-round solution.

Mike

i'm told that some of them are made of the wrong stuff, and are prone to breaking, whether that is the standard caterham one or not i don't know. i've got a 'monster' which i'm fairly sure is too thick, but really want to be able to adjust it.

anyone got the adjustable rear bar?

Some of the Juno adjustable front bars did break, although this could be attributed to them seizing in the aluminium clamps due to lack of maintenance.

I have the standard Caterham rear bar which is adjustable. Doesn't get much use at tight twisty venues though (quicker with it disconnected).

Mike

Edited by - Mike Bees on 15 Jun 2001 08:47:03

The telephone nos for Juno are _ 07801 749054 and 0208 467 2145.

The price quoted last April was £160 incl vat and P & P.

Hopefully mine should arrive today! - but it did take about 6 weeks as each one is apparently made to order.

Barry

"Anti-roll bars are course nasty undamped springs which Chapman and Gordon Murry avoid but some drivers (myself included) do not like sports cars that roll.

Please note that stiff anti roll bars have a detrimental effect on ride as well"

quote Jez Coates in letter to a friend about handling and ride...

I will be at Curborough this week and will try with anti-roll bar and without...

I was planning to play with the rear bar stiffness setting already...

I have the 18mm front bar.

Did you leave the rear anti-roll bar on and if so what setting?