Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Foam rubber strips

Goslima1

I understand from several BC postings that some people put a strip of adhesive foam rubber along the bottom edge of the bonnet where it meets with the sides of the body. This is not mentioned in the build manual and a call to CC this morning confirmed that they do not do this as the bonnet should be a snug fit anyway.

Can anyone offer insight or clarification ???

Marty

I tried it once with some fairly thin foam in order to stop it chafing the paintwork, but I found that it made the fit too tight for the rear bonnet clasps (not the spring loaded ones). It was straining the ally. I was also concerned that the leading and trailing edges of the bonnet would not be snug enough.

So I've applied a length of wide insulating tape to the bottom lip of the bonnet edges instead and this does the job just fine.

Absolutely no hitchhikers *thumbdown*

Marty

I was told the foam tape was there for tranportation only and should be removed. Mine was only held in place by masking tape (i.e. they hadn't removed the backing paper).

The paint is wearing away in a few places, but can't be seen with the bonnet on.

Guy

See some pictures of the build here. First 2000 miles completed!

Marty,

the grey stuff supplied melts after a bit so don't worry. mine is 10 months old and suffers none for lack of it.

I'm sure its down to prefferance and the fit of the bonnet. even replaced it 3 months ago and that melted.the grey foam that is not the bonnet

Dave