Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Mirror attaching glue?

stevefoster

The centre mirror I have has been firmly attached for 4 years. Very good vision / low vibration etc.

Due to a major screen crack on Haggis I am getting a screen replacement soon delays, delays... (another long story).

I wonder what wonder glue my mirror is stuck on with and would want to use / have the same for the new screen.

Does anybody know?

This is one techie problem I can unequivocably make a rec' on!

Loctite do rear view mirror bonding "kits". You can get them readily at Halfords (who have also started to do an own brand kit that looks the same).

Basically it's a piece of "activated" (whatever that means - I think it's something to do with the glue) mesh and a tube of glue.

Make sure the screen and the base of the mirror are clean (which means scraping glue off the base!).

Cut the mesh to the same size as the base.

Liberally apply the glue to the base (there's not much of it but enough to cover the 7's mirror base) without the mesh in place.

Place the mesh onto the glue and press it down. You'll see the glue absorb onto the mesh.

Press against the screen and hold firmly for 30secs or so.

Voila. One well stuck mirror.

It's the only thing I've found that can cope with repeated repositioning of a stiff mirror, the other half using it as a hand hold (hence the repos') and, this one's the killer normally, being left outside in the rain, then not falling onto the passenger seat when the roof next goes on.

I don't work for Loctite or Halfords (used ot have a Saturday job at Halfords 15yrs ago though smile.gif) but I've used two of these kits and they really work (before anyone clever replies, I replaced the screen hence using two teeth.gif). They're more expensive than two of the fixing pads, but last infinitely longer IME.

I've used those sticky pads from Halfords with no bother. They stay attached even though I constantly re-train the mirror to suit today's new improved driving position... In fact, they last longer than my screens do.

I used a Halfords sticky pad. The important thing is to get the two surfaces completely free of residue using alcohol or similar. Don't use white spirit or any other tupentine substitue as this leave a film which will result in a useless bond.

It could just be me, but as I've made the "kits" work (and not the pads) there must be something in it (for me).

Every pad I've used has fallen off at some point, usually after the interior's been rained on or the mirror has been ""adjusted".

It could well be that I'm not getting the surfaces clean enough. But I'd have thought this would also apply to the kit......

Still, the pads are about half the price and neither are what you'd call killer in the wallet department, so try the pads and if you have no joy, have a go with the kit.

Ditch the std. mirror IMHO, & get a Halfords suction cup mirror.It has a locking ring that 'pulls' it up tight. Cost is 4.99 (UKP) and has three major advantages as far as I can see (no pun intended!).

1) The overall size of the mirror is not as wide so giving better forward vision.

2) The mirror is slightly convex giving a much wider vision area to the rear.

3) The suction cup isolates the vibration from the 'screen/eng. and therefore gives a stable picture.

I agree with Chris's advice. I've been using a sucky miror for 3 years now and have it positioned in the left hand corner of the screen, giving me an uninterrupted forward view (I am over 6ft tall and look through the upper part of the screen). On the rare occasions I have a passenger, it is easily repositioned to the centre.

Phil E.

in

M1 7HPC