Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Posh evening in Singapore

Lucky batsrad!

Hawker stall not shiok enough, ah?

Raffles - I can't remember the name of the super-s**** restaurant there, but oh, it's good. I'll check it out tonight.

Don't know what the restaurants in the Fullerton are like, but I'll be prepared to bet they're not too shabby.

Au Jardin Des Gourmets, CHIJMES - But it's a bit odd to go to Singapore to eat French food when France is so much nearer (and prob. better)

Salut! - Likewise

Lei Gardens, CHIJMES or Li Bai in the Sheraton Towers is fab for Cantonese. Li Bai is more intimate (ie not a huge warehouse-sized hall full of yelling families)

Golden Peony in the Conrad is a fab Cantonese establishment, too. Great lunchtime dim sum even if you decide to go elsewhere for the evening!

The Shanghainese place in the Goodwood (can't remember the name) is nice, but you have to like Shanghainese...It's nice outside Shanghai!

MezzaNine at the Hyatt is super-stylish, but the food may not be quite special enough for this kind of thing.

Harbour Grill, Hilton. Heroic selection of smelly French cheese and a good wine list.

J P Bastiani's, Clarke Quay - v.stylish, nice food, river views, nice atmosphere. Certainly used to be the most romantic and cool place to go.

Alkaff Mansions - HUGE Indonesian Rijstaffel - Bring yer eating trousers, but not very romantic!

Disclaimer - all personal experience is at least three and a half years out of date!

Have a pint in Brewerkz, too. And if you want lots of meat, go to the Brazil Churrascaria on Sixth Avenue.

*Sigh*

I don't miss it at all, really.

Thinking about it, go with Raffles for the full experience.

Assuming you're not already staying there (God knows at those prices, I wouldn't), book one of the nice posh Merc taxis to take you to the door, where the turbanned Jagah will open the door for you and usher you into the lovely reception area.

The whole atmosphere is just so good, you can't really do better. The hotels with modern ferroconcrete atria and things are all very well, but won't have the sense of occasion.

Oddly, Mrs M is reaching the same milestone in July, but I can't tell you what we're doing as it's secret squirrel. It's a bit nearer home, what with the kids and all. And I have tried the boarding kennels, but they won't have them. 😬

And don't go to the Penny Black! It's all chilled keg beer. Yuk.

The posh restaurant in Raffles is The Raffles Grill, but there's also a very posh Chinese place called Royal China as well (haven't eaten there, but if it's in Raffles, it's going to be a cut above the Ding Wah Take-Away and Fish Bar). Doc Cheng's is quite fun, but I think you want the full-on posh experience here, so do it properly.

I also recall you saying that Mrs N was fond of Roti Prata.

Best Prata joints: Empire Cafe at Raffles if you want to sit down somewhere posh; Serangoon Road if you don't; at the Zoo if you happen to be there (seriously! great prata!).

God, I envy you even more now...

Seriously ! Well, by UK standards the prices seem OK, although when Mrs N worked there she couldn't afford to eat there, so I guess it is all relative. Times we have been before all been staying with friends and eating in hawker centres (in between drinking in Anywheres, Mollys, Branigans (now shut) etc).

So sounds like the Raffles Grill is the one to go for *thumbup*

PD - have you found the new chain of Kebab shops in sing yet ? (no kidding !)

Our friend is helping run them, he is a "bar and restaurant consultant" ... a huge Sri Lankan chap with the liquid capacity of a supertanker, his job is to tell bar owners what drinkers like *smile* Now why can't I have a job like that *confused*

There are a few other places worthy of your attention:

Our Village, Boat Quay - North Indian, sit on the balcony outside up top with great views

House of Peranakan Cuisine - Meritus Negara Hotel, Claymore Rd - different and well worth a try

House of Sundanese Food - Boat Quay or Suntec City - Good intro into Indonesian/Javanese

Can't remember what it's called but there is a sublime Thai place in the shopping centre next to the Traders Hotel at the top of Orchard Road...Patara, that's it...

Black pepper or chilli crab down on the East Coast.

I sometimes wonder how i put on about three stone living in Singapore. Must have been something to do with the weather.

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! It's not fair! I want to go and I want to go NOW!

😬 Have fun and don't come back thin. *thumbup*

you need to take the white star ferry over to Kowloon, and have drinks at sunset in the bar at the Regent Hong Kong noger.

6 stories of glass overlooking HK harbour, Mrs. B goes all starry eyed about our last night there doing that *wink* *thumbup*

Steve B

Big Black Beast^3 SV VHPD

USA 2005: How the West Was Driven

about to, had far too many of the d4mn things last night, those Mas Biers (1.5 L mugs) and had the bright *idea* coming back to the hotel to have some Long Island Iced Teas until 0300 this morning. it has been a long and rough day. couldn't eat until 1630 today ☹️

just checked in online for my flight home, and about to go to the bar *thumbup*

Steve B

Big Black Beast^3 SV VHPD

USA 2005: How the West Was Driven