Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Clamshell chores

Superseven Twincam

Hi there,

I'm having trouble with the clearance of the clamshells on my S3b. The car's equipped with overhauled Koni shock-absorbers, but still the tyres on the car get into contact with the outside of the clamshells?

Car runs on 185 wide Vredestein tyres, forgot the height. Does anybody have experience with a lower than standard 185 tyre on an early S3, or is would there be a different problem?

Thanks, Jilles.

I've got "tall" 165X13s on my 1968 S3 - 82s I think- and they've never fouled the clamshells. Under extreme compression the sump hits the road first! I think that you have a width rather than a height problem because of the moulded edge of the wing. Lower section tyres will probably help but you will lose ground clearance which I could certainly not afford.

Can you fettle the inner lip of the wing to get a bit of extra clearance or gently bend the front stay to lift the outer rim of the wing?

Some hero will shortly come along and suggest cycle wings but they never got fitted to an S3 as original equipment as far as I know.

I use a 186 x 60x 13 with Clamshells and have never had a problem with clearance between the wing and tyre.

If you have a standard profile 185s then the diameter will be about 75mm more than using a 60 profile.

A 185 x 70 will be about 1.5" bigger diameter.

It may also be that you have wheels with too much offset. Do you know the ET or backspace measurement of the wheel?

Sept & Chris,

I *think* my tyres are the 185/70-13 type; seen as the height is measured in percentage of the width that should account for quite a larger diameter than the 60 height version.

I'd rather stick to the tyres that are on it for groundclearance and looks, but I'd have to look into the offset...

How would I take the measurements on that, Chris? Could there be a spacer between the wheel and the regular mounting point, You think?

Thanks, J.