Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Indicators F***ed ideas ?

greg

Greg,

Do the Hazards work? If they do then its the indicator circuit - switch, box or wiring. If not then its probably the indicator lights power/earth.

Make sure the Hazard switch is off properly, theere is a state when the indicators don't work, but the Hazards don't flash. Switch the switch on then off firmly and try the indicators again.

Sevens suffer from earthing faults, you won't usually see a loose wire, you need to disconect the earth from its earthing point and clean up the joint.

Good luck,

Dave H

Agree with DaveH. I've had mine go a few times and check in this order:

- hazard switch is off (firm on, firm off as suggested).

- check that the flasher unit is actually in, and/or located properly. Mine's fallen out a few times unkown to me. Pushing it back in firmly has sorted it (I can confirm it won't work at the bottom of the passenger footwell!).

- fuses. I think they're on two different circuits, but it's woth checking them none-the-less.

Then you're going to be in dark territory! Unlikely that 4 bulbs would go at once but an easy check. Then you'll need to check all your earths, which can be a real pain. A new flasher doesn't cost that much either, so it might be worth a quick check with a new one...

Greg,

If it's been left for a while or is damp I find the connectors on the back of the indicator switch to be the primary culprit, esp the central (common) if both indicators stop working at once.

Best result is drop the switch out and clean the contacts with emery paper OR as I normally do pull them off and plug them in repeatedly whilst driving down the road shortly after the first turning where I discovered they're not working...

Cheers, Simon.

Thanks Gents,

The lights work, the hazards do not (tried hard several times). I've checked the fuses that were there and they all apear fine.

So it seams like an earthing issue - as I understand that if the hazards worked then its probably a switch / flasher issue.

Thanks for the advice.

Greg, Q 880 RAE (Green/Ali XF)

If rear lights etc work then it is probably the dash earth (underneath left side). Whilst about it worth unplugging and cleaning all the cables onto the rear earth (left rear arch) and the earth straps to the bellhousing and from bellhousing to battery.

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly its not only the idicators that are f*** as I drove the car into a hedge backwards weekend before last. Paul Harvey in Shoreham is putting things right. Luckily the damage does not seem to be that bad!

I dash earth looks good, but the hazards switch is my chief suspect. Hopefully Paul will sort it.

Hum .... The lack of indicators is the least of the issues - a few small dents, a new ofside rear wing, and a new rear fog light, plus a starting problem, I probably knocked the woodpecker out ....