Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

X-flow Oil Expansion Tank

ScottMB

My 1600 X-flow has an engine oil expansion tank, and it appears top have lost its stopper. Any idea of the reference for the oil expansion tank, so I can find a replacement stopper. Also - how much oil should I expect to see in the expansion tank? Mines about 1/4 full.

Many thanks.

Don't think there is an expansion tank like there is for the radiator - I think what you have got is a catch tank - intended to catch the oil blown out of the breather.

The intention of this is just to stop the oil dropping all over the road/track, so it is not intended to be sucked back into the sump when it cools down.

If this is the case the amount in there will vary - depends on how much you fill it, and how hard it is blowing. I think all xflows blow some out. I wouldn't worry about the cap - unless the fumes are getting to you. Most of these catch tanks have another tube which exits from the top of the tank and is directed underneath the car so you don't spend all your time breathing in oil fumes. Just stick some tape over the top if you like.

Mike

Sure there's something in the archives about this somewhere but I got mine from James Whiting ages ago. He can probably source the required cap for you

Nigel Mills - 2.0 Zetec TB's. (Just the fuel mixture to check now)

Thanks for the responses. I think the tank is an overflow tank now you mention it. The oil in it obviously gets pretty hot - and thus you can see it steaming away when the engines been running for a couple of minutes. This is one reason why I think the cap must have blown off.

I think I'll route a pipe out the top of it when I get a replacement cap so that oil doesn't get over the battery!

Mine used to have one pipe going into the expansion (read 'catch' tank) and another going back out of it and discharging under the car. the one going back out was a vent pipe for the vapours. I didn't get much oil ever going intot he tank unless I overfilled the sump in the first place.

Nigel Mills - 2.0 Zetec TB's. (Just the fuel mixture to check now)

Thanks Nigel - the 'catch tank' is certainly not overflowing, and it would be just the vapours that need venting. The problem without having a cap is that when the engine blows out into the catch tank oil, the oil can bubble up out of the hole where the stopper should be, and hence get over my battery. So with a stopper, I won't have any oil coming out into places I don't want - including the road/track.

I put some more oil in the engine last night as it was registering on the low side on the dip stick - went for a blat - and their was no extra oil in the catch tank when I got back. I should be able to fashion a stopper with a tube coming out of it to sort it out.

Cheers,

Just out of interest, having examined the contents of my catch tank, it looks and smells like there's the odd splash of petrol knocking about in there. Do you find that too?

I'm no spannerman so it could be bad news, or just the signs of an ageing engine ('89 supersprint), but I console myself that if it's not all oil, it's not going to cost as much to replace what the engine's spat out, despite the govt's best efforts to hike petrol prices (ooh, little bit of politics there...).

What do you reckon?

Sid

Hi Sid - Don't think their is any petrol in their too. I have had a good sniff, and it seems like good old 15W50 - in a slightly blacker form than when it comes out the bottle... hmmm - maybe time for an oil change.