Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which tyres?????

Dave Martin

Just worn out two Michelin Pilot SX-GT 205/45R/16 83V and need to replace on rear. Front same but still OK. Any one got any advice on options for this wheel size? I know this is not everyones favourite 'size' *thumbdown* but which I like because it keeps me out of the cow pats in my area *thumbup*. I don't do track days and don't drive too hard (well... not always [E] ) and plan a fairly long blat around France in July. Any help would be much appreciated. *cool*

Just got really confused thought I had posted something without thinking ........ then realised it wasn't me...phew!!!

😬

David M

(aka David Martin)

ps hi Dave Martin..... not met another one before......

*smile*

GF04RCE is built running and on the road.... every day is a Caterham day!!!! He heee!!... pictures here , I am as excited as an excited thing.....

I went to Uni with a Dave Martin, he studied Chem eng 84-88ish at Imperial. He had a strong Black Country accent, coming as he did from Walsall or Wolverhampton. Gawd knows where he is now, I think he went on to become an accountant as did so many with numerate degrees in the late 80s.

Assuming you don't want soft Motorsport rubber, then you are into the better standard road tyres. The Bridgestone RE720 which always gets good reviews here, is available in this size for about £70-75 a throw (supply only). The Bridgestone S-02 may also still be available in this size, which is also popular (about £10 dearer)

One other to consider is the Toyo Proxes T1-S, which although I don't have personal experience of has been used by people who have won sprints. Cost is about the same as the above.

All of these tyres will be better than the 'pile-up's'

Edited by - Graham Perry on 7 Jun 2004 18:58:53

Hi Dave,

Of course I am otherwise I wouldn't be driving around in a Caterham....... *smile*

Doing a drive through France myself in July... are you sure your not like a parallel universe version of me... and I am in fact talking to myself here .........

David

ps. pop down to the Shed (test area) and we can ramble on without being accused of being off topic....

GF04RCE is built running and on the road.... every day is a Caterham day!!!! He heee!!... pictures here , I am as excited as an excited thing.....

The Bridgestone RE720 which always gets good reviews here, is available in this size for about £70-75 a throw (supply only).

Flippin' 'eck *eek*

I get my 13" 720s delivered for £40+pence each!!!

the £30-35 quid a corner difference pays for most of a 13" KN Minator (again, if you shop around - and get rid of that cowpat fixation by buying a home jetwash *wink*)

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Just what I was going to say Myles, secondhand wheels come in around £100 a set, instant saving and better handling at a stroke. Sold. Another vote for 185/60 (or 70 for clearance) 13 Re720s - good tyres, cheap enough, good wear rate compared to the Yoko offerings, which may make them a good choice for touring. Certainly it does in France, thee are fewer corners here.

Dont buy goodyear eagle F1s -ive got brand new ones on 15 inch prisoners and they are a bag of ****e in terms of feel -see thread on tech talk today.

Anyone want to buy them

🙆🏻

89 BDR 170 bhp yellow / black cycle C6 BJL

Auchterhouse ,Angus

lotus 7 club # 10947

club lotus # 27272

I`ve just put new Goodyear F1`s on my Volvo......

Last night, just after fitting they were woeful, loads of understeer, but after a good pasting today the grip has returned to what I expected......they obviously had a bit of a coating which needed to be worn off.

I have to say for a se7en though I`d be after some Yoko`s or Avon CR500`s

New duratec powered build underway *New website soon*

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec

wow that's a record, someone actually wearing out their Pilots! Goddyear Eagles??? Are you mad? Caterham put on the Pilots as they were better than the Eagles!!!

Someone once described driving a 7 with GSDs on like trying to drive a St Bernard across a wet kitchen floor!!!

Graham

Pilots better than goodyears *confused*

I actually find the Goodyears quite soft, they only seem to last about 7000 miles on my V70 *eek*

Totally agree they would not be right for a se7en.......we all know A048`s are the way to go *thumbup*

New duratec powered build underway *New website soon*

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec

You got 7000 miles out of a set of tyres on your V70!! We got 5000 out of the front standard P6000s in our D5 auto with the 17s and 225/45s. Luckily it is a company car so the £120 new tyres are free! *smile* *smile* *smile*

Maybe it is eratic driving 😬 😬 😬

Adam