Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Upgraditus for a 1.6 Super sport

Sue Dinnim

Yes it's set in. In fact it set in about two days after getting the car.

Without spending silly sums of money on things like blueprinting etc what is the best way to tune my little 135 bhp for a bit more go. It has the standard exhaust as far as I can tell so I guess the first step is to change the system or manifold. If so where is the best place to go for it and how much am I looking at?

Duncan, have a look at Oilyhands website DVA Power. I am at work so do not have the link to post here, but Google or a search on the archives will find it.

You will find all you need to know about upgrading the K, starting from Verniers (a must 1st upgrade for a Super Sport) to throttle bodies, emerald, 4-2-1 exhaust, and all the clever engineering stuff that I do not understand like modifed heads, piston liners and value stems.

Cheers, Peter

My Caterham owner's site

url is http://www.dvapower.co.uk/

Me too. Bougt a Superlight end of last year. Upgraditis has set in big time.

I've just been through the options with Dave. Sounds like I could get circa 180hp out of the 1.6. using the K05 kit, plus Emerald ECU, verniers and cold air box. Worth fitting forged pistons, new big ends etc.

CC offer an upgrade to 1.8 160hp, bascially R330 spec.

Still thinking of 230hp Duratecs though 😬 *eek* 😬

Cheers,

Alan

Duncan - DVA won't be at all impressed if you turn up with a standard exhaust...

...every time he walked past my car he kept on shaking his head and saying things like 'we can't let you leave with that rubbish bolted to your car' - (prior to a recent upgrade to a competition 4-1 external collector jobbie).

I fitted the 4-1 s/h a few weeks ago - and it makes a noticeable (though not really dramatic) change to my boggo 1.6, so that *has* to be the first port of call - engine mods with the std exhaust will be partially wasted.

ISTR the new price of the CC system is around £600-£650ish plus fitting (I did mine 'myself'*)

This is what I'm on about, here

*OK, I was present and did a fair bit of filing to enlarge the hole in the bodywork, but under direction.... *wink*

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Edited by - Myles on 7 Jun 2004 17:38:10

Worth pointing out that "blueprinting" is not a method of successfully tuning an engine to high power, but is a method for getting the most out of an engine within the constraints of a race series that demands that an engine meets "production tolerances". By careful analysis, components are chosen that are of optimal dimensions within the tolerances so that small - perhaps significant - advantages can be eked out of the design while still meeting the "production tolerances" requirement.

Obviously, without being limited by this constraint it is easy to tune an engine to greater power...

Sahf London;

every 1st Wednesday from 19:30 at The Duck just around the corner from Clapham Junction station