Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Powder coating

Pete

Under the car yesterday and was horrified at the condition of the A frame (4 year old car).

I will need to take it off this winter and get it re-powder coated. Does anyone know where I can get this done ion the South-East?

Also, do the front bushes need to come out in order for the frame to be treated?

Make sure you check the new one's dimensions carefully. The chasiss mounting points have moved around considerably, in the chassis level with the seatback, under the chassis about 20mm rearwards and then back again. There are presumably different length A frames for each location, if you give the parts dept the chassis number they should sell you the corresponding A frame but check them back to back before fitting.....

Agree with Chelspeed, be very careful about the order as I know a couple of people who have had trouble with these.

One was the local MOT garage who gave me a call about 3 years ago as they knew I had had a Caterham for years, and asked me to pop down and have a look at a Caterham they had to do an MOT on. They didn't like the look of it but were not sure what they were looking at. Someone had succesfully managed to fit the wrong (smaller) A frame on it and the De-dion was all at the wrong angle and the A frame tubes were slightly bent. As a consequence the DD didn't just rub on the diff but bashed it heartily and had dented the tube badly (The MOT tester hadn't noticed this). They must have had to force it to make it fit.