Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Under dash handbrake

Fast Westie

No pics but the way it works is the inner hooks on a bracket which bolts to the chassis, then when you operate the lever you effectively lengthen the outer. It's a bit oddball but it sort of works. One snag is that with the harness done up you can't take it all the way off (I *juuuuuust* can if I stretch and push the button with outstretched fingers for the last inch) but like our previous correspondent's it only gets used for MoTs and when I park it on the driveway, engine running, to shut the garage door. Apparently the early ones are better in this regard (pre heater)because the lever is further towards the driver.

Ah - those were the days - the under the dash handbake in my first 7.

I used to dream of leggy blondes in miniskirts sitting beside me and having to use the handbrake ALL the time.......................

Unfortunately it never happened ☹️

I was curious to see if I could do the following: take digital photos of the diagrams in Weale's book and post them to AOL's pictures web page. (I don't have access to a copy machine that would allow me to copy the page from the book so that I could just scan it into my PC)

I don't know how to create a link here so I'll e-mail a link to your e-mail address. The quality of the photos isn't very good but it will give you an idea of how the handbrake works and maybe someone will be able to copy or scan a better image to you.

Ken Sailor

For some reason I don't seem able to send you a message to the e-mail address in your profile and I need that to send you the link to the diagrams (aint technology wonderfull?) Send your e-mail address to kensailor77@aol.com and I'll send you the link.

Ken Sailor