Click here if you are having website access problems ×

On a serious note.

KevSull Too

Fast approaching the 60th anniversary of D-Day and the Normandy landings, while browsing the various websites dedicated to this historic occasion I re-discovered the poem "In Flanders' Fields" by John McCrae...

In Flanders' fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row

That mark our place, and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below

We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow

Loved and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders' fields

Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders' fields

We should never forget that people fought and died for what we now have.

😬You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same. 😬

*wink* thanks kev, for the poignant & timely reminder *wink*

reverence for those who made things better in later years for us now is one of the things i MOST CHERISH about setting in the UK

*thumbup*

Steve B

Big Black Beast^3 SV VHPD

USA 2005: How the West Was Driven

*thumbup*

A visit to Arromanches a couple of years ago brought home to me the sheer audacity of the D-Day invasions, not to mention the huge personal sacrifice made by each and every one of the Allied soldiers who died. Not just Brits, but Americans (who got the worst of the fighting in a lot of ways by having to head South, hedgerow by hedgerow), Poles, Canadians, Free French, British Colonial forces (including Irish, Indian and West Indian volunteers) and others.

Would our generation have the backbone to do this again if we had to? Fortunately, we don't have to prove it one way or the other, at least for the moment, thanks in no small part to these people.

Well said, Kev. *thumbup* There's no glory in war, but they did what they had to do.

I find it frightening (especially as I was a History student) that so many people seem oblivious of the sacrifices made by our grandparents - now great grandparents for many.

Mrs B's grandad was one of the many that landed on D-day. Few years back we went to see where he came ashore and it really beggared believe how they made it out of the landing craft - big open expanse of beach and very little cover.

Thanks Kev *thumbup*

Edited by - Boonie on 4 Jun 2004 13:15:18

Funny, Boonie: Mrs M and I were only discussing this the other night. By the tiome the next big anniversary of D-Day comes around, very few of the people involved will still be here. Fewer and fewer kids will have been brought up hearing about it first- or second- hand. There is likely to be more ignorance and apathy towards one of the defining, pivotal events in the recent history of Western Europe (and, indeed, Western liberal democracy, for D-Day surely symbolises the rise of the pax Americana and the creation of America as an outward-looking, benign, powerful giant - before it lost the plot - like no other single event). Perhaps that's history for you: perhaps that's a sign of our increasing cultural effeteness and a sign that sooner or later our prosperous, liberal way of life will come under threat through our own self-satisfaction. I don't know, but all the more reason to make a big fuss about this anniversary so that people remember how we all came to enjoy the life we have now.

It could all have been avoided had we got round a table and had a good chin-wag, failing that some hard-hitting sanctions, and perhaps not being allowed in the Eurovision Song Contest for a couple of years ? War is stupid, and achieves nothing.

Or have I just been watching the Green party election broadcast too much ?

Tongue not entirely in cheek though. We should not forget what our grandparents did for us, but I for one cannot never propose to understand what they went through. 17 year olds going off happy and whistling to almost certain death ? I have no way of putting myself in frame of mind that I would be able to do this. I cannot begin to imagine being in a situation like WWII, so whilst I can understand intellectually what happened, I have no empathy.

Sorry, all a bit serious.

No need to be sorry, Noger. I understand entirely what you mean. I question the same things.

I think we live in a different country now - post-colonial, post-feudal, post-aristocratic - and a lot of the ties and obligations that people used to perceive no longer exist.

It will be interesting for us, our children and our grandchildren if we actually live in a different world, as it will be our indifference to the next threat to the wellbeing of our society that brings it down.

Bloody hell, not very shedly.

And doesn't it really bring it home to you when you realise just how young some of these soldiers were, then try and imagine waving off your own kids of that age in the knowledge that you may never see them again.

I actually hate saying goodbye to my 18 year old (son and good mate) every time he goes off to University, even though I know he is coming back (all too soon).

It brings a lump to my throat just thinking about it now.

Brent

Zetec 209

Reassuringly Expensive

Edited by - BRENT CHISWICK on 4 Jun 2004 12:47:27

Three years ago after a superb caravan holiday in Provence we made a special visit to a WW1 Cemetary near Bethune in northern France. My wife's Grandfather's grave is there , naturally she never knew him.But neither did her Father which was even more sad.We had promised to take Farther to see his Dad's grave but never made it as he passed away before we could organise the trip.

We had the Army plan of the Cemetary and after driving passed it by mistake eventually found it. Parked up the "rig" walked down a dirt road behind a row of terraced houses and there it was - it was immaculate and all three of us went very quiet even before we walked in. Opened the gate and went straight to the Grandad's grave - the plan was 90 years old but spot on.

I can tell you there was not "a dry eye in the " ☹️ Grandad was 36 yrs. old which was quite old for WW1 but two of his comrades either side were 19 & 20 which is no age . (this country lost a whole generation in that conflict) We collected some wild flowers from outside and put them on his grave and amongst lots of words said Thank You for giving everything.

We walked around for a while and wondered at the scale of the losses.On the way out and prompted by the 90 year old plan found the Visitors Book in the entrance gatepost and wrote our thoughts - all of us had hands that were shaking whilst writing . It was one last look then off to catch the ferry home ; for the next few miles nobody said much at all.

That's our story and I'm sure it could be repeated many many times over for those who didnt come back from WW1 & WW2.

Going down to Le Mans with the Club and using some of the same roads as the troops used will also be something to think about.

Now why do I get so cross

*mad* *mad*

when I see youths of 18 & 19 running riot , smashing car windows and being very objectionable. Would they fight for Queen & Country - perhaps not as there would be Health & Safety regulations to think about aswell as not going into a conflict situation on a Friday/Saturday/Sunday *confused*

I'm not sure you're being quite fair to the "youth of today". Don't forget that they are off at war right now and some of them will not be coming back - they're chances are much more favourable but many parents are "waving off your own kids of that age in the knowledge that you may never see them again". Another factor mentioned this morning was that in WW1 they knew (or thought they did) why they were fighting, in WWII there was no doubt, but getting killed so that Dubya can get re-elected (and we can have fuel for our cars) isn't quite so convincing.

Now then, where's Nemesis? Anyone seen my merkin *eek*

M1 7 SMW 1.4-now-1.8K Mem.No. 10376

kev, i was in tears today ☹️

watching 80 years old gentlemen who lost so many friends to the attrocity

it really upset me flying to munich tonight knowing so many had died below where i was freely flying

God how these many gave for us few *thumbup*

Steve B

Big Black Beast^3 SV VHPD

USA 2005: How the West Was Driven

I for one will be stopping off at Pegasus bridge on the way to Le Mans on Thursday morning to pay my respects to our fallen heroes.

Fantastic coverage on BBC 1 tonight, very moving.

😬You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same. 😬

I went down the town centre today @ 3pm, partly to see me dad marching & partly to pay my respects.

Was saddened to see the extremely poor turnout of people, especially with what turned out to a highly emotional half hour...

My good lady could sense my feelings, as she did more than her fair share of looking after the wee man (2) who was very bored.

My 5yr old girl was refreshingly interested in finding out the reasons for today's activeties, which was very heart-warming *thumbup*

Ross here *wink*