Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Quick release Wheel

Heres Jonny

Just have my delivery from cc of momo wheel and quick release, todays problem is i cant get the old column off???

All that is left on the car is the boss and the rod through the bulkhead, of which this sticks out about 3".

Am i being stupid any missing something, the boss will pull forward about 4"

and then it wont go no further,

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Jonny

Jonny, you aren't being stupid, just not pulling hard enough.

I had the same problem and thought i was going to break something as i was pulling so hard. A phone call to Caterham, just had them say the same as i am telling you. PULL HARDER. 😬

It will probably be best to put the steering wheel on, sit in the drivers seat and pull as hard as you can, it will come off eventually.

Daren.

FWIW, the reason it stops there is that there is a raised bit on the column part way down for the steering lock, and this is larger diameter than the upper column bush. So it is necessary to pull the bush out with the column. Hence the difficulty.

If it helps, it's a right bugger to get the upper column fitted as well 😬

I'm sure I read somewhere that the way to do it was to attach a lashing strap to the roll bar and ratchet the column out - just watch out that it doesn't shoot out at the last minute *eek*

Guy

See some pictures of the build here. First 2000 miles completed!

Jonny,

violence is the keyword - and then maybe heating up a bit with a gas burner.

I would suggest grinding the surface of the lower column to fit properly to the new bit, and further grease it with super lube or something likely to avoid it to get stuck again. Remember that this is a part of your safety equipment!

/regin

Edited by - RJ on 3 Jun 2004 22:31:49

Be careful that you don't tw*t yourself in the face with it when it finally does come out. You might be able to encourage the bush to come out a little better with a flathead screwdriver to help the rubber lugs that hold it in the dash to compress...