Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Murphy comes to visit pre Le Mans - help please!

Mcalvert

• Leadership Team

Typical, a few days before setting off for Le Mans, my car's stared playing up. As mechanical novice, I'd appreciate any advice…

Driving up to Silverstone yesterday, an intermittent rubbing noise stared up on the drivers side.

Jacking the car up when I got home, it appears to be from the front hub. The wheel still turns freely, but there is a definite squeak. Looking from the inside of the hub, there is some sort of felt washer which is disintegrating a bit and turning with the wheel, which it doesn’t on the other side. Nevertheless, it still appears to be providing a seal (I presume it's there to keep grit out of the hub?). I note also that the gap between the upright and the hub where this seal fits is about 1mm wider on the noisy side than the other.

The noise comes and goes and does not change when breaking, so does not seem to be a break pad binding. I can only therefore imaging that it's hub related.

Does anyone have any ideas what it is likely to be, and most importantly whether this is likely to deteriorate much on the Le Mans trip? I would normally drop the car into James Whiting's to check over, but I know that he's off this week. Is there anyone else who knows Sevens in the Maidenhead area?

Thanks - Michael.

Michael,

The felt seal should move with the wheel. it is pressed into the back of the hub.

Caterhma have apparently had soem bad bearings where the tightness with which the pressed steel plate to which the felt is attached fits into the hub is loose due to an aout of tolerance pressing.

Would suggest you ahve a go yourself, or if you are on the official club trip we will have tools and a couple of spare bearings anyway.

Arnie

Au revoir vous Anglais.....

Monsieur Arnee du Lard

I am sure that you will have checked this but---my first thought was that the hub nut has worked loose, and I believe the front bearings are tapered so have some tightness adjustment. May be worth jacking up again and giving the wheel a wobble to detect any play. I'd be tempted to do that anyway as you have a long journey ahead, and the last thing you want is your wheel disappearing down the road in front of you.

Happy Motoring. thumbsup.gif C7 WJW.