Click here if you are having website access problems ×

"Wimp" or full hood for mods

paul jacobs

Has anyone got a "wimp" they want to sell. In case you don't know what it is, it's a modified hood, with no top, but has the full rear window and a small section around the top of the sidescreens. It makes life a lot easier when travelling with ones better half, but of course I wouldn't dream of compromising my manhood by using it when on my own!! 😳

Failing that, has anyone got a hood for a Dedion that they want to sell so I can modify it?

Give me a call on 01823 421748.

Paul J. - Now just waiting for my tax disc due on 1st June.

Edited by - paul jacobs on 2 Jun 2004 06:38:21

Blue car? Carbon parts? Could have been me. Had a few people ask me about them at Stoneliegh.

Paul, the WHIMPS as produced originally by Simon Hellberg, do not have any rear window, although they do wrap around as far as the rear rollbar braces. I am not sure if Simon still manufactures them and I'm afraid I can't find his number. It was featured in LF some time ago. If anyone has a good collection of back issues I'm sure they could forward Simon's details.

Click here to see mine

Please bear in mind that mine have been modified to remove the tensioning straps because upon fitting my roll cage I noted that the rear braces fell exactly in line with the WHIMPS so I converted to poppers instead.

After seeing yours Nigel, I remember what they were like. Does the draught still come onto the back of your shoulders or does the design actually stop all backdraught.

Still looking if someone has one going spare, but a hood would do if anyone has one they want to sell.

Paul,

I was given a hood by a friendly Se7ener last year (Steve Mell?... or was that the boot cover?)... Anyway, I've failed to use it, so it's your's whenever our paths next cross.

I'm actually aiming to go to the Gloucs L7 meeting tonight but that's still a large chunk of motorway away from you isn't it?

Be aware (and this is why I haven't used the hood) that the WHIMPS don't need the hood tensioning bars to function properly, but the hood does owing to the fact that the cut-outs for the doors will fall too low, and restrict the doors if used without the tensioners.

There is still a draught but it is not ONLY a draught. Not a gale. You have to try one to believe how effective they are. They also help to stop the doors from flapping, leading to slightly more stable door mirrors.

Can I take you up on your offer of the hood Nigel? I think with a bit of judicious cutting and some extra tensioning it could be made to do the job of the WHIMP quite well. Sorry not to have got back to you last night. By the time I got home it was time to leave again for our own area meeting, so this is the first time I've managed to check BC.

If you can be bothered to wrap it up and post it, I would be only to happy to reimburse you for P&P etc.

Paul, my biggest problem is in getting to a post office during their opening times. I've a whole stack of things that I've promised for people but haven't had a chance to send them off, some for nearly 3 months now.

Millwoods in gloucs are doing an open day on Sunday. One of my locals is going so if you're around I can ask him to take it with him.

Yes, I was planning to be at Millwoods too, so if you can organise getting it over to them, I would be very gratefull.

Tell him to look out for my black/silver se7en, with a silver stripe, reg'n number:- A7 YEP, if I'not around for any reason [driving an Evo V111 maybe 😬] he can just dump in into the passenger side footwell.

Many thanks Nige.

Paul

His name is Myls Davison, drives a black academy Se7en with a (sadly) broken passenger side rear CF wing.

I've only just emailed him asking if he can take it, so as long as all's well (no reply yet) I'll drop it over to his later today or tomorrow.

Paul,

Myles is intending to be there from around 10am but aims to leave just after midday if possible. Can you arrange to be there diring this time?

Myles will email you with his mobile number later.