Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Carbon fibre - how to

rj

Does anyone know how to achieve the beautiful finish of the carbon fibre supplied by CC?

I would guess the base used is some kind of pre preg stuff, but...

Now, I'm not going to produce wings or nose cones - or in fact anything for a 7, but for another piece of toy...

Many thanks in advance

/regin

simple flat sheets can be produced by puting sheets of pre-preg between two thick metal plates and bolting them together very tightly, the bigger you go the more chance there is of having bad or dry area in the centre, ok for number plates model car chassis etc. can speed up the process by putting in oven.

kevin R

J457 DNU

black-ali HPC

I've wondered this in the past, too.

Based on my dablings years ago with composites, I can vouch for the importance of mo(u)ld quality. However, the super smooth, shiny surface that one sees sometimes has seemed to me to be down to more than just mold quality.

My guess has been that they first put down a thin layer of epoxy (perhaps with additives) in the mold and allow it to "go off" prior to laying in the plys of CF, thereby creating a thin layer on the outside that covers the weave roughness (similar to a gelcoat, but transparent and without pigments).

No idea if that's really how they do it, though. Has just been my supposition.

When making complex shapes(wings and things) in molds, the finish inside the mold is what you get on the outside of the component, to get the high gloss finish a heavily pregged sheet is used and the work is either vacumed into the mold or autoclaved or both, the method i stated before, with the plates, can include vey shiny stainless or similar to give the shiny face, ps. this is how I made my rear wing protectors, this is about the limit on size with this method as the centre starts to loose pressure.

kevin R

J457 DNU

black-ali HPC

Resin type and volume can have a big influence on surface quality. You might consider a higher resin volume ply as a surfacing ply. Resin manufacturers have resins specificaly formulated for surfacing plies e.g. ACG's LTM24ST here.

Only use it if the B******t factor is more important that performance *wink*

As has been mentioned above, mould quality is paramount.

Paul

Edited by - PaulD on 2 Jun 2004 11:07:46