Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

HELP BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH

Guy Lowe

I have an MOT booked for 09.00 tomorrow after a rebuild and I have a problem with the brake light switch.

If you gently press the pedal the brake lights work OK but the harder it is pressed the dimmer the lights go until the eventually go out altogether. I have tested the switch with a meter and the voltage drops as the peddle is depressed so it’s not an earth problem.

Unless anyone has any other suggestions I think it’s safe to say the switch is duff, does anyone know what this part was originally made for, or better still does anyone have a spare one in the West London, West Surrey, Berkshire, Hants area?

Guy

Guy

is it a pressure switch or electrical? The electrical ones work by release so presssing hte pedal shouldn't affect it, if it's the pressure type then a tip given to me at Heyford a few weeks ago is to clout it a couple of times and then pump the pedal as hard as you can several times.

Do you have a brake balance in line, if so open it up to put more pressure through the switch

I've changed mine to the electrical type to resolve matters

Mark

Hi Guy, good to hear the switch is working OK now, but it's probably a sign of a more permanent failure occuring soon, I'd be inclined to replace it, got an idea it was originally a Mini part, but could have got that completely ballsed up, Caterham had them last time I needed one but any half decent motor factors should be able to sell you one, Nigel.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.