Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Engine move?

Mike Biddle

I,ve been looking at ways to improve the handling on my VX car, and some time ago I saw a W********D at a tuners workshop where the engine was being moved back in the chassis. The result was claimed to be good, and loking at my car the engine could be moved back by about 50MM. This would of course require the engine mounts to be changed or modified, the gearbox mount to be moved back, the prop shortened, and possibly some alteration to the tunnel cover.

Any thoughts from the chassis experts?

Bellhousing to footwell clearence is the issue here.

You can get smaller bellhousings for the VX for ford fitment which will take a 200mm flywheel, but wave goodbye to your starter motor!

I too thought about this and decided the best course of action was to extend the front of the car instead.

In the meantime Mike, I'm not sure if you wide tracked your car and whaty dampers you are running, but there are big benefits to be had by fitting proper adjustable dampers. Wide track also makes a huge difference.

Au revoir vous les gentils Anglais.....

Monsieur Arnee du Lard

Graissez votre nourriture non vos di dion nuts

Monsieur Arnee, re bellhousing to footwell, it's more of a problem on the right side, and since my car is left drive I can lose a bit of footwell if necessary. I have wide track, adjustable platforms and standard bilsteins. Which "proper" adjustable shocks do you suggest, and of course they then have to be adjusted correctly.

Dave, thanks I will call him and have a chat, you're right about the exhaust, I'd forgotten that, but it won't be a big problem, I'll just shorten the can a bit and get the hole in the body extended.

Thanks for the posts, MIKE.