Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Advice

kpm

Hi

Now I have had my car a few weeks, (ex 99 academy 1.6 vx) im starting to think about track days, and I have definately got to give this ago before the end of the track day season.

I would prefer to go on one of the Lotus club trackdays (membership in the post). Are there any tracks that are more suited to beginners? and do the L7 events fill up quckly ? I am in Berkshire so something within say 100 miles would be great.

Regarding helmets I assume in the 7 you really should have a full face jobbie, how much are these for a reasonable one ?

Thanks

K

Club trackdays fill up very quickly, usually within 2 weeks of the booking form appearing in Low Flying.

Having said that the club trackday at Cadwell sells out in 3 days as everybody seems to want to do it and I'm taking steps next year to get around this problem.

We have at present sold out forthcoming trackdays at Oulton, Silverstone and Brands this year and our final trackday at Mallory Park on October 21st October will be advertised in next months Low Flying.

As a novice to trackdays I would recommend track driving instruction and we have 2 ARDS instructors at all our trackdays this year who will provide instruction free of charge.

Geoff

*smile*

I don't believe full face helmets are essential, although they obviously do protect a bit more of your head! decided on an open face helmet - I like the peripheral vision it gives, a Sparco jobbie for about £150 IIRC.

I have only done 1 trackday plus an Academy day - both were worthwhile and great fun. I totally agree with Geoff regarding some instruction, it makes a hell of a difference to your progress and behaviour on the track.

Some trackdays run 'open pit lane' format which means there are potentially many more cars on the track than a 'sessioned' trackday. I first demo'd a 7 at Silverstone on an open pitlane event and did find it very busy and intimidating at times. At Donington last weekend there were about 20 cars in our session and this was not so bad. Some circuits like Goodwood or Castle Combe run with very small groups in the sessions about 6 - 8 I think, this gives you a bit more space to practice with, usually for 15 - 20 minutes every hour. This desn't sound a lot but I think it is plenty - it also allows you and the car to cool down between runs!

Go out and do one, you won't regret it *thumbup*

Roadsport build photo's here

Edited by - Grubbster on 28 May 2004 06:41:21

Thanks

Looks like Mallory is a must for me then especially as its the last one of the season and the others are already booked up. Its also not too far from me.

I would definately like to have some instruction and view this as essential to have more fun be safe and improve my track driving. Does this have to be booked in advance ?

Grubbster, as I have an ex academy car how did the academy day work, was this actually racing or time trials just for academy cars.

Cheers

K

I'm guessing, but I think the "academy day" Grubbster is referring to is the one run by Motorsport Events. It's not connected to the Caterham Academy challenge.

It is an airfield day (Heyford, Oxon) where MSE line up several instructors and take you through several varied sessions/techniques such as: Cadence Braking, coned course, slaloms, provoked oversteer *thumbup* *thumbup* 😬, a timed cone course incorporating most of the above, and a brief session at the end where they lay out a track on the airfield using cones, and you all have a blat around. Kind of a gentle introduction to a track day.

If you've never done a trackday or airfield day before, worth going along to just to settle the nerves before the real thing. Do a quick search on "Heyford" in chitchat, and see some of the feedback from the recent days.

Airfield days are good for beginners cos' there's nothing much to hit, and you can get a good feel for what your car can do.

Track days are the real mc'coy, but tempered with that is the presence of gravel traps and armco. Of course, it's all down to you and how you drive on the day

Chris

Edited by - cr on 28 May 2004 11:41:09

Chris - you are right, I am referring to the Motorsports Events Academy day - hooning around an airfield in your own car - well a series of disciplines to practice actually! Lost a fair bit of rubber on my one . . . . *eek*

Roadsport build photo's here

Im booked in for Oulton (yippee!!). How do i go about getting instruction? Is it a first come-first served on the day or is there a form for me to fill in? What is the cost?

After my engine burst a seal at Anglesey last year, I need some confidence building (in me & the car). I hope it all holds togther this time, havnt been on track since.

Its free of charge.

I have 2 ARDS instructors (Austin Kinsella and John Laycock) who will be available for track driving instruction and all you will be required to do is put your name on the list at signing on.

Geoff *smile*

KPM,

I'm not far from you in Finch.....you may see me blatting around the general area / Bracknell on sunny days.

I did my first track day last year at Brands in the novice session. I didn't manage to get an instructor (mainly as I was in the furthest pit area from them !!) but it didn't really matter. The day was excellent, everyone very courtious on track and as we had 7 * 20 min sessions there was plenty of time to get used to the circuit and build up the speed over the day.

No one seemed to mind people going relatively slowly at first as long as you allowed plenty of passing opportunities. Go for it, take your time on the day (I would say spend all the morning sessions learning the circuit and car and THEN start to build the speed). The last thing you want to do is have a major brown trouser moment at speed (or worse stuff it in the armco) on your first track day.

It was a great day and I'm booked in for Silverstone this year and DO intend to get a session with the ARD's !

Oh....and blag a ride in the experts session with someone in a quick 7......you will have great fun, it will add to the whole experience & you will learn some of the lines to take in the corners !

Steve Campbell

P889 GRR

I would recommend going to a motorbike shop for your helmet. They seem far better vfm than anything like demon tweaks etc.

Prices start at about £50 for a basic but fully certified / legal one up to a grand.

Would also recommend full face. If you decide to go sans doors then bits get thrown up by your warm tyres. You may even go aeroscreen eventually and then full face is a must. Just a bit more protection.

• 3 weeks later...

kpm,

If you haven't bought your helmet yet you may wish to consider a couple of additional points:

- To do any organised motorport in a Caterham, including the L7CGB Speed Championship etc will require a full face helmet

- Said helmet will need to meet particular standards - which a lot of motorcycle helmets do not - BS6658-85 Type A (NOT Type B) is the minimum acceptable standard. Snell SA2000 is the normal standard most competitors look for.

Brian

Edited by - bl0498 on 27 Jun 2004 21:31:28