Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CC c/f rear arches - star cracks?

Myles

Do the standard carbon fibre rear arches from Caterham suffer from star-cracks?

It looks like I will be forced to relpace my kevlar-lined DITP ones with standard CC c/f jobs due to some biddy reversing in to one of them and ISTR that the kevlar lining was specifically there to eliminate cracks...

...and if they do, is there any preventitive treatment (e.g. armourfend the *insides*???

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Myles

This might be worth a go before you go and buy some new ones but only as a last resort as it could make things worse. Try heating the area up with a hairdryer set on high heat. The heat from the hairdryer can "post cure" the resin and maybe, just maybe the cracks may disappear. I have done this before on various cf components and I would say the success rate is probably about 40% and if it doesn't work will make the part look a right mess. But as a last resort I think it's worth a try.

Hope this helps *thumbup*

Fibrepro - thanks - I'll file that one for the future...

...I'm not going to try and repair the significant damage that the biddy caused though - the wings will be replaced on her insurance - I just wanted to know if standard Caterham c/f was likely to star-crack as it hasn't got the kevlar liner that my current DITP versions have...

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Trust me, they don't. I've had a half housebrick bounce of one of mine, spat out from the front wheel when I wasn't looking where I was going. No damage to the CC rear CF wing at all.

That said, I've seen the damage a tennis shoe can do and it's not pretty. *tongue*

• Leadership Team

The Caterham cf wings don't suffer from star cracks like the glass ones - as V7 SLR says, I have his old wings and there's no cracks whatsoever. CF wings are not indestructable though - they tend to crack under impact rather than crumpling like the glass ones - but they'll absorb substantially more impact before doing so - hence the star cracks that appear in glass fibre wings would be unusual in cf ones.

Stu.