Click here if you are having website access problems ×

12K service... what needed.

neil.cavanagh

I'm going to attempt the first 12K service on my caterham this weekend.

What parts do I need to order?

oil filter

foam sump baffel

??L of oil (mobil 1? or halford own brand synthetic)

sump gasket in case it needs replacing

anything else?

cheers,

Neil

Neil,

According to the owners manual, the sump baffle is just a 'check' item at 12k - but if you've got the sump off, you might as well replace it...

I did this recently (at 12k since my last major service - and foam change...) and you might find my write-up moderately helpful... here

I got away without changing the gasket - but YMMV...

Aside from the filter (from Halfrauds - part HOF213 for the HF version), you will need about 7.5 litres of their own-brand fully-synth 5W40 (Mobil 1 is overkill) - if you have an apollo tank and wet-sump - so you'll have to buy 10 litres in actual fact.

Officially, you are supposed to clean and check the air filter too - you'll need the £10ish Pipercross cleaner and re-oiler pack (some HF stores, or order from DT etc.).

It's probably a good idea to buy a litre each of gearbox and diff oil and do a top-up (no need to drain and replace).

Those are pretty much the only consumables - but you might want to consider changing the plugs, coolant (and thermostat if you're going that far - drop it to 82 deg C...)

HTH.

Regds,

Myles

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

thanks guys!

Mav, that is very useful to refer to whilst in the office!

and Myles, I had already read your guide to doing an oil cahnge. It is only because of your site that I am contemplating changing the baffel myself as you make it sound fairly simple.

thanks,

Neil

and Myles, I had already read your guide to doing an oil cahnge. It is only because of your site that I am contemplating changing the baffel myself as you make it sound fairly simple.

Oh dear! Where's that certificate for public liability insurance... Hope you read my small print... *wink* *tongue*

It *is* fairly simple - and I managed it on my own with no major issues (other than an oil-slick on the public land where I keep the car - despite laying down a huge disposable plastic tarp 😳) - if you can get a pair of extra hands (Steve) then it will reduce the risk of badgering the sump gasket and spilling *quite* as much oil as I managed *wink*

• 2 weeks later...

I did the service this weekend...

seemed to go fine.

One question though... I bought some of the 'blue' sealant stuff. I applied this to the THREADS of the sump plug. This has been suggested as a BAD thing to do. Should I take the plug out and try and clean if off? though this will result in lovely new oil pouring out everywhere....

Or can I leave it for 6000 miles until the next service??

all advice appreciated!

Well, I've replied to this on your other thread.

But briefly - I'd leave it until the next oil-change. You might need to do another sump-off change to clean the threads properly though.

Risk of getting sealant into the oil system at the moment is low - but will increase significantly if you don't clean the threads properly next time.

thanks guys.... I'll leave the plug until next oil change, when I might drop the sump (hopefully not literaly) again to check all the bits are in the right place still after my amateur spannering.

and Angus, humblest, deepest, grovelling apologises.... what with servicing the car, finishing moving into a new flat and heading to Avebury for a old work reunion on saturday night I ran out of time!! still, should of called!! I'll be offering many pints (and not of water...) as payment for rudeness at the next surrey/phoenix meet.... *cool* *cool*

yours with deepest grovellings...

Neil

angus,

I'll try and give you a call to arrange a time, though it would have to be late thursday (like 10pm) or friday morning sometime as I'm in germany for work again most of this week. I don't want to put you out, so we'll have to see if we can arrange something that won't inconveinence you...

thanks!

N.

ps gutting to hear about Mark's P4.. .i was looking forward to seeing, and hearing it....