Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Upgrade advice required....

rynicolson

Ok, Mutley is asically a standard SL spec car, 1.6k SS with standard exhaust, wide track, uprated brakes, LSD, lightened fly wheel....

Want to upgrade a few parts, currently (probably in this order as cash restricted) plan is:

4:2:1 exhaust

dry sump

Alloy rad

throttle bodies

Is this the right list and have I missed anything obvious?

Thoughts needed please on who to get parts from... exhaust - racetech? dry sump - Pace? Alloy rad - CC? T/bodies - DVA?

Am I missing anyone I should consider? Who could do the work for me (Non techie / no time)... plan to get it done prior to Alps trip in September (yes bad timing I know)....

thanks Richard

Tricks...aka darstardly

Y57 CDS "Mutley"

• Support Team

Alloy rad - try Radtec or Caterham do either an Aluminum road rad or a triple pass race rad. I have a Radtec as do a number of other owners as it is cheaper than the triple pass one from Caterham yet offers a higher level of cooling than the Caterham road one.

Dry sump - Pace or Caterham. Search for Pace on here and you should find Hoopy's post on what you need and how to fit it. The Caterham one is more expensive but a "neater" solution due to the bellhousing oil reservoir.

Exhaust - Caterham or you could have one made up by any of Powerspeed, Exhaust by Design, Haywood and Scott. I'm sure lot of people will have recommendations or search for those names on here.

Throttlebodies - you'll really want a programmable ECU with those so probably best to get an Emerald first and then think about throttle bodies, cams, head work. If you are happy to leave the standard Caterham fold then DVA is probably the best person to talk to.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Shaun... based on Hoopy's breakdown at the weekend not sure I'll follow his lead 😬 Seriously though, yes understand throttle bodies = ecu etc etc, dave radiator Ok but getting somewhat tired and is just "one the list" temperatures OK so could move this down the list after t/boddies. I am told that the pace d/sump is better than CC due to the system set up....

Dave (Hoopy) if you read this can you tell me if you got a CC rad or radtec in the end? I'll post on Tourse7en to get you also.

Keep em coming

R

I would say:

Exhaust

Emerald

Dry sump (PACE is cheaper)

Stop there and assess performance. Those items above will remove the obvious restrictions to more power and make the engine capable of taking more.

Throttle bodies may not give anymore power but may increase response. You might be better off with new cams rather than TB's to get more power. The Emerald will already give you better responses. After the 3 items above I'd speak with DVA about further upgrades but you will need to understand what it is you're trying to achieve.

Driver training first, toys second. Learn to drive what you currently have quicker and you will save a packet, and use your current car nearer to it's potential. Upgrade the car and you are left driving a "better" car further from it's potential.

I'll take it out for a spin....tomorrow

I'd probably go for a RaceCo can on someone else's manifold and collector. If you're staying as a 1.6 then get a 4-1 collector. Caterham's is OK, but could be better. The RaceCo can is titanium and it VERY shiny. Lovely piece of kit. Might get one for V7.

Amen to Tarek. Only when the driver is faster than the car should the car be upgraded. It took me two totaaly reliable car years to catch up with a 1.6SS before upgrading each year after track days and Le Septs. Now, once again, it is faster and equally unreliable to me

Tarek / Tony... I totally agree..... BUT.... after 2 previous se7ens and a fair load of cash spent on both track and road tuition I am now wanting to further upgrade this car (not selling!)... dry sump is more for oil pressure safety as my current use is going to kill it one day as the pressure is dropping too often, the euc/t bodies/ exhaust to give me some more grunt in a straight line... my local track has a long up hill straight, I'm reasonably quick on the twisties but then get dumped again on the straight... not wishing to create disagreements as I totally concur with your points in regards to road safety and driver vs machine capability.

David valid point, might do exhaust then do ecu in winter....

Richard

Tricks...aka darstardly

Y57 CDS "Mutley"