Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Engineering dunce seeks help !

Steve Campbell

Bear with me ... I'm a dunce when it comes to the mechanics of my toy & I didn't build it ! I'll try and explain ...

I noticed a small oil leak underneath at the weekend (2 or 3 drops on the garage floor) so I've had a butchers underneath. Easy to spot where the leak is coming from but I don't know what it is or how to fix it ....

Looking from underneath, on the base of the gearbox (6sp) at the back is a cable that feeds into a "joint" assembly at an angle (passenger side) . The cable from this runs forwards past the gearbox & eventually leads into my dashboard (at least I think I traced the correct black cable !)

The "joint" assembly has quite a bit of 'play' (1 or 2 mm) at the entry point to the gearbox and the oil is coming from this.

What is this ? How do I tighten it / fix it (it had a knurled nut on it but it all seemed quite tight apart from the play feeding into the gearbox).

Thanks,

Engineering dunce

Steve Campbell

P889 GRR

Sounds very much like the speedo gear housing. If it's like the 5 speed you should have a conical hat type cover, with a circlip holding it in place - the presence of said circlip would be worth checking, but there's no adjustment to speak of. Also if I remember correctly there should be a seal, but I don't know where that fits - presumably under the hat but I haven't got round to building that bit on my seven yet!

The area you are describing is the drive to the speedo cable, rather than a direct cable attachemnt you have a 90 degree adapter to bring the cable forward. The adapter is retained in the speedo drive housing with a circlip, it should be fairly tight so the circlip may be missing or incorrectly fitted, this has no bearing on oil retention, the speedo drive shaft itself has a small oil seal which prevents leakage, I imagine this must be damaged or misplaced, if you remove the circlip and the right angle drive you should be able to prise out the old oil seal from around the drive and press in a new one.

In view of your self confessed lack of engineering skill, it might be best to elicit the help of someone mechanically experienced.

Oily