Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

K Series - UNDERCOOLING????

PAUL MARRIOTT

My 1800 k series, DVA and Emeralded to 195 BHP with 3 pass ally rad and 82deg thermostat (WITH 1.5MM BLEED HOLE), seems to be undercooling.

When driving the oil sits at about 75deg and water at c60 - 65 deg. When stood idling temps rise to an indicated 80 deg. I've checked the idle temp by contact thermometer at temp sensor and guage appears to be about 5 deg out (tHERMOMETER READS ABOUT 85DEG). The fan cuts in and out on Idle and controls temp.

Do I need to worry unduly? I'm off on the Spanish trip on Friday drive there and back via France and don't realy fancy tackling a thermostat change now, if that is the problem.

Any comments gents?

Paul M.

1.6k but not so much power as you ☹️ 155BHP but I run a very similar setup with a few holes in an 82 stat, alloy rad and my temps are exactly the same as yours. It takes longer to warm through but I would prefer to run slightly cool rather than hot. I also am going to France this year and after last years roasting in 40c in Burgundy will be leaving things as they are. Have a great time.

Phil S7 SVN

Well it's a bit of a bloody mystery innit. Lets break down what you've told us.

When driving the oil sits at about 75deg

and water at c60 - 65 deg.

To get this result the temp readings are either wrong or the thermostat is u/s. Is this the temperature on the gauge or on the Emerald? There are two different senders so you have two different readings that you can cross-compare.

If this is a wet sumped engine and no laminova/oil cooler then I would expect you to be able to attain oil temps up to and above 100 degrees.

When stood idling temps rise to an indicated 80 deg.

And it is the fan kicking in that halts the temperature rise. Well seeing as this is a lower than expected temperature and that it is controlled by an entirely independent component (is it the Emerald or the radiator fan switch)either:

A. The thermostat and fan switch points are both different from your expectation

B. The temperature readings you are looking at are rubbish. The gauge is rubbish and the sender is rubbish and probably the earthing is rubbish too.

I've checked the idle temp by contact thermometer at temp sensor and guage appears to be about 5 deg out (tHERMOMETER READS ABOUT 85DEG).

I might be tempted to suggest that this is a misreading as well.

I have a similar problem with my VVC

When blatting on Motorway @80+ the water temperature rises and i need to slow down too cool down.

When I am doing a lonely 50-60 the water temperature slowly diminishes at a point if the heater is on I can feel it.

Is that normal or do I have a major problem somewhere?

Jack

Emily, The Very Yellow 21

21s had a problem with getting a high pressure area over the radiator exit vent at high speeds - you might need to investigate getting the rad resited in a more vertical position and get a bit of ducting sorted. The Belcar GT racers ran into this problem. See if you can get to chat with Stijn about it.

Paul , I understand what you are saying ........

oil temp of 75 C when cruising along is fine .

Water temp on the guage of 80C when stationary is fine .

Water temp on guage when cruising along falls to 60C ----- Yes ?

Its to do with the apparent temperature that the sensors sees in the water rail . Caterham have produced a new section of pipe with taps for the repositioning of the water temperature sensors in the bypass hose . This new position provides a more realistic accurate temperature . Ask for a race temperature pipe ...... £10

jackb_ms - if your water temp is rising when you blat , then you may have gasket probelms ☹️

Thanks Gents

Just to complete the picture then. The car is fitted with Apollo and Laminova and I was reading guage on all occasions - Haven't checked the emerald will do tonight. The check I am using is a recently calibrated contact thermometer hence the external surface of the water rail - temp soak from the exhaust may be a problem 'cos I waited for about 5mins before checking temp and the car was idling with the bonnet on.

The thermostat should operate at 82deg and I expect the fan switch to come in above that c. late 80s deg and drag the tempdown to mid 80s, which it does.

However I think the logic is that the Thermostat is the problem as the temp is supressed when on the move. The query really is do I need to worry about that immediately - I'm looking for reasurrance as I don't realy have time to change it before I go of on the tour.

Paul M.

Whilst on the subject, why does the temp gauge plumet when I goon my 1.4k with a triple btpass rad?

For example tootling alot in 5th at any speed, its more or less rock solid at 80ish. I then drop to 3rd or 4th to overtake a caravan, & the gauge indicated temperature plumets, sometime almost to the blue. It then returns to normal when back to cruising.

I wondered if it was something do with the sudden increase in RPM & increase in speed of water pump dumping a load of cooled water from the rad to the sender?

Dave

I'm somehow worried, the HG was change last year and I'm not using any water at all. *confused*

The water only rise on Motorway where i do travel at an indicated 100mph, not when i'm having fun on the twisty bits.

I'll hope it's a question of hight pressure as mention by Peter

Jack

Dave

I'm somehow worried, the HG was change last year and I'm not using any water at all. *confused*

The water only rise on Motorway where i do travel at an indicated 100mph, not when i'm having fun on the twisty bits.

I'll hope it's a question of hight pressure as mention by Peter

Jack