Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Smith's sender thread size ?

KayTee

Hi, everyone !

Just a quick one, what thread size are the temperature and pressure senders of Smith's gauges ?

Oil temperature, oil pressure (I think I have that one) and water temperature ?

Are oil temp gauge sender fittings available to fit those into the pressurized filtering circuit on a dry-sump application ?

Or do I best fit the oil temp sender into the d-s tank ? For which I need the thread size and the appropriate fitting ...

*Help !* ??

Thanks ! - Karsten

Which engine are you asking about?

If it's a Ford, the temperature senders are normally 1/8" NPT and the pressure sender is 1/4" NPT. If you use the 10 bar oil pressure sender (as opposed to the standard 5 bar one used on wet sump engines), this is usually a different thread. Off the top of my head I think this is 10mm tapered, but I am at home at the moment and can't look it up.

Yes, you could site the oil temp sender in the oil filter housing, but we prefer to fit it into the sump plug/filter. This gets the oil when it is just about at it's hottest.

Hello, Roger !

Thanks for you reply !

My engine is a BDA/R, actually a BDD kit on a 711M block.

I am planning to be using meachanical/capillar Smith's guages for water temp, oil temp and oil pressure. I do already have thwe fitting for the capillary oil pressure line, but have no idea what thread sizes I need for the other two senders.

The engine is dry-sumped, so I suppose putting an oil temp sender into the small sump wouldn't make much sense, would it ?

For the oil temp the plan is to either use a remote filter head with the proper size tapped hole for the temp sender, or to use a separate oil temp sender housing either in the pressure circuit (measuring oil temp as it enters the engine) or in the return/cooling lines (measuring oil temp as it comes out, probably hottest). Plan 'c': oil temp sender fitting added to bottom of the dry-sump tank.

Either way, I need to know what sizes threaded holes I need for these two Smith's temp senders.

Thanks & Regards - Karsten

Sorry,

I'm not sure what threads are used on mechanical gauges.

But yes, it does make sense to fit the oil temp sender in the sump. We machine the actual drain plug/filter itself for the sender because all of the oil has to flow past this on it's way to the tank. Can't imagine that the mechanical sender would fit here though.

If you fit the oil temp sender to the filter housing you will be measuring it at just about it's coolest point. This is not really a problem, but you should bear in mind that the hottest temperature will be considerably higher.

Edited by - roger king on 5 Jun 2001 09:54:07