Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cycle Front Wings - Stupid Question!

oldbutnotslow

*confused*I run 13” rims that mean that the front cycle wings stand proud of the tyres by quite a margin. I’ve seen other 7's where they seem almost to be touching the tyres. Is there a way of lowering the wings to achieve the desired effect without cutting and welding the existing stays.

I know that one reason for the close proximity may be that the other cars were running bigger rims.

Any thoughts??

*confused*

• Leadership Team

The race stays are shorter than the standard 13/14" stays. Be aware that if your wings are bolted on, and you either shorten or buy shorter stays, the hole will not match up - you'll need new wings.

Stu.

Not sure about the rims size previously but as an ex Academy race car I would have thought that it would always have been on 13's

I am afraid that I can find lots of other things to spend £100 on before buying new wing stays. (My darling wife being my first thought of course!)

I was hoping for something closer to £10!

Guess I will leave them as they are.

🙆🏻

oldbutnotslow,

If it's an ex-Academy car then yes it would have been supplied with 13" rims. However the profile of the tyre then comes into play as the Academy run CR322's in (wish I could remember) a reasonably high profile. If you're now on lower profile tyres the gap will obviously be bigger.

Steve.

Its on 55 section cr500's so I guess this may be the issue. Tremendous tyre for a dry track. I did get caught in a torrential downpour on the way back from Snetterton after having let my 18 year old son have a blat. No wet gear apart from windscreen wipers on my glasses. Tyres seemed fine in the wet at 30mph couldn’t see more than 10 feet above this speed. Other drivers were writing out committal notices for the insane asylum as they overtook us!!!!!!!!!! 😳

How anyone could contemplate travelling more than 10 miles in a 7 when the temperature is below 85 degrees is absolutely beyond me. Did it once to Cadwell ---- now have a trailer!

Off to Snetterton for a track day on Thursday. Better be warm!!!!!!!

*thumbup*

For a tenner then I think shortening the standard stays is the only way. It's pretty easy, cut the stays, 45 deg prep on the end, mig them up, smooth the join with an angle grinder, tidy it up with palstic metal and finally paint or powder coat.