Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VDO instrument bezel removal

Can anybody tell me how to remove the rims which hold the glass face on the tacho and speedo? Mine are rusty and need repainting but I can't see how they are held on to the body of the instrument. On other instruments I've seen it was a matter of rotating the rim until the lugs on the body lined up with the cut-outs on the back of the rim, but on these the rim appears to be solid and I can't rotate it. Any ideas?

When I spoke to a company who refurb older gauge instruments, they said that they use a special machine/tool to 'roll' new bezels onto VDO gauges. My VDO bezels are getting extremely manky too and would like to sort them out!

Try talking to this guy at VDO. Very helpful and I think will refurb your guages for you.

Joe Cook

VDO Instruments

36 Gravelly Industrial Park

Birmingham

B24 8TA

Tel: 0121 326 1234

Fax: 0121 326 1297

*arrowright* *arrowright*Harry Flatters *arrowright* *arrowright* *thumbup*

AKA Steve Mell of Su77on Se7ens and Surrey Joint AO

I spoke to Joe Cook at VDO today and he was helpul. I have 3 or 4 instruments with rusty bezels and he quoted about £15 to fit new ones. He said he would also clean them up and recalibrate if necessary and that it could be done while I wait.

Nice to know that it's still possible to get something repaired rather than being forced to buy the whole thing new.

Mike

I had the same problem till this afternoon. The bezels are bonded on so the solution is about 20 mins each with 400 grade wet and dry to strip them back to bare metal then finish off with 1000 grade prior to repriming and refinishing in satin black aerosol cellulose.

Removal from the dash is not a problem just a bit fiddly and you'll probably need to remove the steering wheel to get speedo and tacho out.

Whole job took about 3 hours. The rubber seal rings, which seal the bezel to the dash and stop excess vibration, may be perished but these should not be difficult to replace if the split

Result is the dogs whatsits 😬 😬 😬

David