Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Fitting Cycle computer

Red SLR

About 4 months ago I put up a post asking for instructions on fitting a cycle computer.

Well I have got it fitted now, it works a treat.

So if you are thinking of doing this to your 7 then I would recommend Halfords own brand cycle computers. They are made by VDO and read into 3 didgets for the speed. Easy to set up and an 8 funciotn version is 10 quid.

X777CAT

I recently fitted a Sigma 800 and have been very impressed with the accuracy. I simply chalked the tyre where it touched the ground and pushed the car one revolution and measured the distance along the ground, then divided by pie to get the diameter. At a recent sprint, the time trap recorded a max speed of just 0.2mph different to my new toy. Superb in my view.

John

Steve

I have calibrated it. I used the same method as John. It is spot on on the measured mile. 60mph over 1 mile takes 60 seconds. Well 60.2 or something, but it is close enough for me!!!

X777CAT

If you visit Jasons site, you'll see that he opted for the Sigma BC1200 'cause it was cheaper, but an added bonus is that you can set it up for two different sizes of wheel (It's designed for using on more than one push-iron), so if you have "road" and "track" wheels it saves re-calibrating every time you swap.

mine works great.

James - be sure to measure the rolling circumference of the wheel as the tyre distorts in contact with the road.

The Sigma BC1200 only seems to work if the magnet and sensor are in the same plane, ie parallel to each other, rather than forming a 'X' when they pass.

I inititially had some dodgey readings but traced them to a wheel balance weight knocking the sensor.

Failing that, check your maths?

I applied high beardage and measured 10 wheel revolutions to counter error; however, this proved unnecessary as the final reading was only a digit or so out. Subsequent calibration of the Sigma with a GPS showed it to be accurate to a percent or so, and then comparing that with a measured mile it seems accurate to 1/100th of a mile.

Richard - my wheel seemed OK without rebalancing it, but I have since moved the magnet, like Pierres, to the head of a brake disk bolt, so I can swap wheels around and retain the speedo. Although the epoxy glue is only guranateed to about 60 degrees C, it is still there after a couple of trackdays.

There is some detail of mounting the display on my site at www.confessions-of-a-beard.com.

Edited by - Nick on 12 Jun 2001 11:55:14

Pierre - who manufactures the "liquid aluminium weld" and what is it meant for? Ie, a sort of 'plastic metal' for fixing things like home radiators? It might help me to track it, or something like it, down.

Thanks

Nick

Nick, I have to check at my local Castorama to get the brand name. It comprises two little plastic cans, one containing a liquid yellow resin, and the second one ali powder; You add powder to the resin until you get it as you want it: liquid or kind of putty. it can be used to "cold weld" engine blocks...

I shall get you the name tomorrow.

Cheers,

Pierre