Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Roll Bar for Track Day - help!

Chickenhawk

I want to do a track day at Brands and have been told that my 'standard' roll bar's no good and I need an FIA one with additional 'diagonal tube' and 'petty' strut'?

Where do I get one from, how much and will it fit?...and is there anything else I need to do to the car?

My car's a standard 1986 XF1700 de-dion

Thanks

Chickenhawk

I don't think it matters whether your Roll Bar is FIA approved unless it is a L7C event. There is a parallel thread on Chitchat at present.

In my experience of trackdays no-one looks at your car, it is your responsibility. You sign your life away when you sign on. The onus is on you to make sure the car is 'safe'.

Personally I think it's important to be as safe as you reasonably can. FIA roll bar (full cage is better still), full harnesses, side impact bar, crash helmet complies with MSA requirements, decent brake pads. I've now moved onto Grads racing & you must have all the fireproof gear as well.

HTH

Mark

• Support Team

As said, most track day organisers do not specify any type of rollover protection. The L7OC insist that you have an FIA approved roll bar although they do not ask for the petty strut to be fitted. Caterham supply just such a bar which is thicker than the standard bar and it has an additional diagonal brace. The petty strut comes with it but when fitted prevents you taking a passenger. Fitting fo the bar can be done by yourself and a search of techtalk will reveal how (the main thing is you have to disconnect part of the rear suspension - dampers I think). Caterham will of course fit it for you as I am sure will any of the other service agents.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

The old Arch 'FIA' bar is only 'FIA approved' with the petty strut in place.

The new Caged bar (with the X-shaped diagonals - picture on my site) is now known as a 'Trackday' bar, and again is only 'FIA approved' with the petty strut in place. The FIA approval sticker is now on the Caged petty strut rather than the bar to prevent confusion.

Guy

See some pictures of the build here. First 2000 miles completed!

I have an "approved" one on my car (and pety strut) which I am just about to remove as I want one without the diagonal.

I was going to attack mine with an angle grinder at any moment but if you want to do a swap sort of thing call me real quick on mobile 07768 00 44 00 or email before end of day!

DAVID L

GET THE MOTOR RUNNING

HEAD OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!

33 RPM is a RECORD NUMBER !

I don't think I would attack it with an angle grinder, they fetch quite good money in the "for sale" section, sold my secondhand FIA bar for £50 less than it cost for a new tall FIA bar.

Andy G

• Area Representative

Chickenhawk,

If you are still looking for one, I will see if I have the details of one that was offered to me but was unsuitable as it was for such an early car (compared to my own 90's car) and the fittings were very different. Let me know if you want the details.

Nick

Yellow HPC - A 2.0 VX - 😬