Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Negative Camber on rear suspension

Rob Walker

We were experiencing poor grip on the Emerald rolling road yesterday whilst trying to map my new car. Dave Walker suspected that I was running with far too much neg camber 2 degrees. Does anyone know what is the reason for running any neg camber at all with radials when the rear axle be it live or De Dion is rigid and free from roll induced camber changes.

The car feels nice, just that my Ears came with the uprated rear brake package aka off the JPE and are stamped 2 degrees and thats what they measured at Uncles Daves. The standard current Ear`s are either 0 for slick or ACB fittment or 1.5 degrees for radials. The big question is is that extra half degree just too much and am I sacrificing too much straightline grip???

Edited by - Rob Walker on 21 May 2004 20:00:41

Ears for standard brakes are 0.25 and 1.5, but if you've got uprated rear brakes then you're limited to 0.25 or 2.

Without knowing what tyres you're using, how you drive and how much road or track use the car gets, it's impossible to make a recommendation.

*confused* *confused* Why do brakes affect the choice of ears 🤔 I wouldn't worry too much about straight line performance because the distortion the rolling road puts into a tyre is much more of a problem than when you're on real tarmac.

SEP field working, not spotted in 100,900 miles. Some photos here