Click here if you are having website access problems ×

WANTED 8v VX 1600cc engine

rrusse15

This is the same request as my posting in the wanted section (I just thought it might get a few more hit's here)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone have an 8V Vauxhall 1600cc engine from a pre 2000 Caterham Classic sitting in the garage that they would like to sell?? (ex academy etc...)

I'm hoping that there must be one lying about somewhere following an engine upgrade etc...

Thanks in advance,

Rob.

Ok here is the theory of the failure of my old engine, thanks to Andy MacMillian and a few "experts" at work!

Having got the head off over the weekend, I found a very 2nd hand head gasket.

The stopper ring, that seals the firing pressure had split on No.2 cylinder, and the fibre part of the gasket had blown through to a coolant passage.

If the stopper ring failure had occurred a while ago. It could have caused a hot spot, which in turn would have caused detonation. The stopper ring damage could have happened when the engine overheated of course, but damage to the head surface, damage to the top of the piston and a strange pattern of carbon build up on that piston, all point to an ongoing detonation problem and suggest that it has been like it for a while.

This would not only start the combustion early but also start the combustion at the side of the cylinder, and could cause ring flutter and blow by (hence breathing oil and down slightly on power), and possibly be a reason for running hot too.

The final overheat during the race being enough to burst the fibre part of the gasket through to one of the coolant passages and cause my rather steamy demise.

The only thing is, I didn't hear any pinking, but thinking about it, the breathing started at Pembrey and I haven't driven it under load at all, without my lid on, since then?

So to conclude, detonation = destruction ?!

Where do I go from here??? Well Andy Mac, being the helpful chap that he is, has a contact that might be able to repair the damage to the head. Then it's "just" a case of a complete rebuild with a new piston!!

Which leads me to think that financially, and possibly practically too, I'm now properly desperate to find a decent 2nd Vx 1600cc engine!!!

Anybody out there??

Sorry to hear the problem is quite major Rob. Given you seem to have been down on power for a while I suspect this has been an ongoing problem. Hope you get everything sorted out quickly.

MikeW

1600 VX Black/Ali Race No 110