Click here if you are having website access problems ×

O/T - gluing hard plastics

Myles

I need to close a large crack in the hard-plastic shell of one of my autocom headsets - the placcy seems similar to ABS which ISTR being a b!tch to glue.

I've already tried 5-min epoxy - didn't do the job (despite being clamped and left to cure for an hour or two).

Any suggestions for easily available glues - the dreaded 'superglue' for instance???

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Myles

You need a solvent adhesive for ABS. Dichloromethane (Methylene Chloride) or Tetrahydrofuran & Methyl Ethyl Ketone. Sounds as though I know what I'm talking about, but I must confess to reading off the tins!!

The Tetra whatsit is the stuff used to glue plastic waste pipes & is avaible from most building/plumbing merchants. Problem is it may be too thick for your crack (as it were!). The dichloro..... is a liquid which is best applied with a small paint brush.

I have some dichlor at home in Leek Wootton if you fancy a blast up here sometime.

Mark

PS: I hope it is ABS, because nylon & polyprop are virtually impossible to glue. ABS is common for electronics enclosures.

Hi Myles,

any shop that sells 'Airfix' models will sell plastic solvent type adhesive. They call it Polystyrene cement and it most certainly dissolves hard plastics - perhaps ABS???

There is a model shop of the correct type in Studley on the High Street - might be worth a quick blat *wink*

Justin *cool*

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Well I picked up some Loctite Super Plastix stuff which consists of an 'activator pen' which you apply to both bonding surfaces and then some solvent that is applied to just one...

...unfortunately, being as my work-piece isn't completely in two sections, it was rather hard to get the fat felt-tip head of the activator pen into the crack - and initial results don't look promising despite the packaging saying that it's fine for hard plastics such as ABS etc... *mad*

I've left it clamped up and will check later.

Seems to have worked, actually... The real test will be how it stands up over the next few days of 'touring'...

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Edited by - Myles on 20 May 2004 17:12:58

• Support Team

The ear defender is a Peltor unit that costs about £12 - Autocom then add the electronics. You could perhaps do this yourself or Autocom may give you a favourable price to do it for you. Obviously this doesn't help now but does offer you a longer term solution.

Yellow SL *cool* #32