Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bleeding K-Series

timbar

I'm sure loads of people will have had experience of bleeding the coolant system on the k-series, so maybe someone will be able to help me.

I had an engine re-build recently, and the dealer had a great deal of trouble bleeding the system after the engine had been re-fitted. Apparently Caterham technical support told them that this was typical with a K-Series.

So anyway, I've just topped up the Anti-freeze in my 1.6 Roadsport and I'm having trouble getting rid of the air. I've followed Caterham's advice in the Owner's manual, but the process seems to be taking longer than it should. After about 15 minutes of ticking over (With the water-temperature hovering just about 85-90 Degrees) the air was still spewing out of the Radiator bleed valve. I closed the bleed valve and let it cool, then tried again with exactly the same results.

Does anybody have any advice: Don't be afraid to talk down to me as I know absolutely nowt about fettling these new fangled horseless carriages, except how to give the plastic to the mechanic after he's finished.

Edited by - timbar on 2 Jun 2001 19:40:50

I've replaced a radiator a couple of times and had similar problems. However after speaking to the since departed Len Unwin I have solved it. Here's what he said to do:

Firstly remove the bonnet and nose, then jack the front of the car up as much as possible (at least a foot) and remove the upper bleed screw from the radiator, then open the heater valve fully. If you need to top up the system,remove the upper heater hose from the heater and pour the antifreeze/water down the tube towards the engine, until it comes out of the open pipe on the heater.When this happens quickly reconnect and tighten up the clip. Next just run the engine, while it's still in the air, until fluid starts to rise out of the radiator bleed hole, when that happens tighten it up and the jobs done. Good Luck.

Blimey, thanks for the quick response Andy.

Three probably stupid questions:

1: Do you top it up before you jack it up ? Sounds as though the anti-freeze will pour straight out if I take the pipe off the heater when the nose is up.

2: Do I literally remove the bleed screw completely from the radiator ?

3: Do I stop the engine before I put the bleed screw back in the radiator ? Won't the hot anti-freeze go everywhere ? How fast does the water "rise out" of the bleed hole ?

As you can probably tell, I've been a bit nervous that I'm going to get a faceful of hot, blue, costic, steam/water all day!

timbar,

In your 3rd para, you say that you see air still spewing out after 15 mins of idling... I think what you may have been seeing is simply a hot compressed liquid squirting out of a confined space. If you are having to mop up coolant afterwards, I think coolant is coming out. I noticed what you described when bleeding the cooling system on my car recently.

To back up Andy Perry's comments, someone of the se7ens list said he bled the system by keeping the car flat and easing off the jubilee clip around the upper heater joint till coolant came out. Beware of doing this on a hot engine though; it *squirts* out. Better to do it while the engine is warming up.

Basically, if the pipes to and from the heater are getting warm pretty quickly on starting from cold, and when squeezing them, you can see a reaction in the header tank, and when easing off the bleed screw in the rad, coolant comes out, then I'd say the system is bled. All the high points have been covered.

Make sure the expansion tank cap has a white dot on it; these ones give the correct pressurisation of the system.

You are, of course, free to ignore any advice/opinions in the above comments smile.gif

Nick.

Thanks Nick,

Easing the upper heater joint is part of the process suggested by Caterham, I tried that and got lots of coolant leaking throug a bulkhead and into the passenger footwell, so I think that its bled!

I think you've got it spot on. I was expecting to see a lot more water coming out, but actually there was just a splattering of water and some near boiling vapor. But I did about 50 miles in the car yesterday and the temperature only varied by a few degrees up and down so I reckon the jobs done.

The cap of the expansion tank doesn't have a white spot so I'll have to get a new one I guess.