Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil Change - Anti Cav

MJG

It has come time to do an oil change on my 1.6K SS, first real mechanical activity since purchase (2nd hand). It has an Anti Cavitation tank and I'm not sure about the process to drain all the oil and re-fill taking this into account.

I've just fitted one. Drain the oil from the sump only, any remaining oil in the tank will drain once the oil filter is removed.

The fitting instructions indicate approx 6 litres, however rough calculations of the volume of the tank alone indicate 3 litres giving a total volume of 7 litres. Perusal of the se7ens.net site show most users running with about 7 litres of oil. This brings me onto measuring the level: Caterham instructions say run the engine for 2 minutes (from hot or cold?), stop engine for 30 secs & then dip the oil. What do other users do?

When Hyperion fitted mine they advised me to dip with the engine running. If the dip stick was difficult to read due to the engine vibration smearing the oil on the dipstick as you withdraw it they advised to just turn the engine off and dip immediately. On mine I seem to be able to dip it OK with the engine running.

They also said 7 litres of oil.

Andy

7 litres and dip it whilst running.....

Those who know more than me tell me you can get a prob with air locks when changing oil with the anti-cavitation tank. There is a bleed valve type thing on top of the tank should you find yourself with no oil pressure.....!

I asked this about a week ago and this is what I got....

So the procedure is

1 remove filler cap

2 remove sump plug

3 remove tank plug

4 remove filter

5 replace filter

6 replace sump and tank plug

7 remove spark plugs

8 pour new oil in to cam cover

9 crank engine to fill tank

10 after oil level is ok replace plugs

11 start up and check pressure