Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Slicks, any advice

Andrew Dent

Have a spare set of 6x13 rims at home looking for some fresh rubber. There is also the matter of Le sept looming and lots of track time. Any advice on slicks? Do I order Yokos and off we go. What about wear rates etc. Currently run 32s and these are great, but 5 tracks in 7 days will see them off. Please let me know your thuoughts.

Andrew

Andrew

If you have a spare set of wheels then your chooses seem to be ACB10's or slicks. ACB10's are crossply so you'll have to change your front camber settings to between 0 & -1 degrees of negative camber (depending on preference). Yokohama however supply crossply & radial slicks for 13 inch wheels.

On the experience of Le-Sept 1999 those who ran the 2000 odd miles on road & track (4 tracks) with new ACB10's had well worn tyres at the end of the trip.

I'll be driving the whole event (only 3 track days) on 32R's but will make sure I have some new rubber on the rears.

Hope this helps,

Mick

My advice is - if you have the spare rims, get some slicks! You wouldn't believe how much more grip you get, and (the thing that surprises people) how much easier cars are to drive on slicks.

It is certainly right that if you put slicks on, you should change the cambers, but I have never bothered and although I am sure the car isn't optimised, it works well enough for me. Mind you, if you have the option of radial slicks, then you can have the best of all worlds.

Keith,

I've now done a trip to the ring, and 2 track days on my ACB10's. The fronts have worn out on the inside half but about 1.5mm remains on the outer half.

The rears have worn in the middle (outer areas still have nearly 2mm) but I am running 15psi cold.

Sizes are 7x13 front, 8.5x13 rears. I've not had the car long and I do not know the camber settings. The car feels ok, but I have limited experience. Is this just the result of a car that is possibly set up for tracks and this is the price to be paid for a particular type of set up or perhaps just the result of a light car and big tyres?

I think the mileage achieved is acceptable for med compound ACB 10's. But should I look into the uneven wear a bit more.

I cannot pretent to be an expert on these things, but....

The fronts do appear to be running with too much camber, the best test is to check the temps across the tread when you have been going for it on the track. It is, however, possible that they are fine for the track, and the wear on the insides are occurring on the road, when there is little lateral G. The rears sound at first sight like they are showing symptoms of over inflation (as you clearly realise) but you can get similar symptoms if running with too little air - the tread distorts causing the middle to overheat, and wear. I can't remember the right pressures for ACB10's, but 18 psi sounds familiar. I'd be inclined to try that sort of pressure, and see how I go.

Andrew

There was a guy at the Harewood Fun Day a couple of w/e's ago had some half worn slicks off of a Formula Ford - track compound not hillclimb. He was asking £20 a piece but by the end of the day was pleading for offers. I am seeing one of the organisers next week. I will try and get a contact number - all I remember was that he was driving a Lotus Sunbeam. Pretty Sure they were 13"x6". Other nearby source of part used slicks is Yorkshire Rally Spares - they have a website.

Bloke with the 'bird