Click here if you are having website access problems ×

oil change with apollo

Steveh7

I've got a 1.8 k with an apollo, will all the old oil just drian through the sump plug or will I need to do something else to get all the old oil out the system in the apollo? (I assume all the oil just drains into the sump when the engines turned off)

cheers

stevo

• Leadership Team

There's probably a good 1/2 litre in the bottom of the apollo - just take a close look at it and you'll see the exit pipe is some way up the tank.

Stu.

Well that is not good news ☹️ but thanks for the info *thumbup*

Do you think that it is worth starting again 🤔

My thoughts are, that it is not. The oil that I changed had only done 2,000 miles but was in the car over winter when it was not used. Thus I changed it at the start of last month to get rid of any acid build up. Thus if there is 0.5L left and I put in 6.5L only about 8% of the old oil is left. The grime too should be low as the oil had only done 2,000 miles. I only use the car on the road - no track days etc - if that is relevant.

Cheers Rupe

Click here p21 to see pics of my 7 on a Sri Lankan beach *cool*

• Support Team

Definitely not worth starting again. As you say the old oil is so diluted it won't have much effect (if any). I recently changed the oil on mine and forgot I had to drain the Apollo 😳.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Always, always drain the apollo...

...and please make sure that you get a 32mm (IIRC) bicycle spanner (they're thinner) onto the bottom of the apollo to stop you distorting/destroying the thin ali walls of the tank when you undo the apollo plug...

The apollo plug is magnetic too (unlike my sump plug) - so you can have a look at how much debris there is in your system.

Finally - not only is there a good pint or so sitting in the apollo, but there is also a fair quantity sitting in the sump that doesn't drain through the plug hole unless the car is tilted somewhat (IMHO) - I was somewhat taken aback when I refilled my car after changing the foam baffle for the first time (first time I'd had the sump off) - it took noticeably more oil to fill than with a standard sump-on change...

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com