Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

welding alloy

thinfourth

Okay my dry sump no longer sayes caterham its down to cater so was wondering about building it back up with alloy then an even better idea struck me

Anyone know how easy it is to weld titanium to alloy

and slightly related wheres the fuel tank breather *eek* *eek* *eek*

Blatting round aberdeen wondering wether to buy a jumper or heater

Welding titanium to alloy is possible but ...

a) using the correct shield gas mixture is critical

b) the resulting weld may be subject to galvanic corrosion

see here for pdf of interesting titanium welding info.

If it were me, I would go for an alloy "skid plate" or even have the remaining parts of the sump built back up with plasma spray rather than go exotic with Ti. However it is very sexy stuff!

Another thought, how about raising the ride height a smidgeon or avoiding the worst of the speed humps 🤔

Aaahhhh blinkin yumps *mad* There is one 200yds from the house that forces me to go up the road even though the quickest route to the destination is the other way (over the yump). I haven't a chance of going over it even at walking speed *thumbdown*

Which yump was your downfall? I'd better add it to my list of places to avoid!

cairn of the mount, also the perth braemar road, a few other country lanes to speak of.

proper ooopps car flying yumps not big speed bump yumps but those damn ones that have gaps to get buses through now they are a total no no.

Blatting round aberdeen wondering wether to buy a jumper or heater

Feck me!!! you must either have quite soft springs or must have been really going for it *eek* Respect! I've been over the Cairn O' Mount a few times in a wet sumped se7en with no signs of running aground.

A road you had better avoid is Mintlaw to Old Deer. Hump back brig over the old railway line is (cough, alledgedly) good enough to get a Volvo estate airborne.

Thinforth,

Ta for the photos, it just makes it worse!! I can't wait for an excuse to get my seven up north, my folks are up on the coast in Cullen now, some fantastic roads up there.

Regards traffic, it's not bad down here, worst I've ever seen was getting out of Aberdeen airport at 4.30 on a work day 😬.

All the best,

Alan