Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Noisy scraping K @ 4,000rpm

Glen

When the car is hot it makes a nasty scraping sound from the engine (sounds like the clutch/gearbox end) at 4,000 rpm, which disappears below these revs, but not above (although I've only gone up to about 5,000rpm). It's a standard 1.8K with a 6-speed and 10,000 miles on.

Problem has suddenly, rather than progressively, appeared - although it's a sound not unlike a noisy clutch (but much louder) that came and went mysteriously some months ago.

Any ideas? - I'm hoping this is not serious, and just something obvious that I'm too daft to spot.

Help would be much appreciated.

Err um well, Could be the ali housing that carries the clutch release bearing? This has been altered on later 6 sp. boxes to have a section turned to allow a thin steel ring to take the wear factor out. The straight ali one ended up ridged (Lousy design to start with, now OK. Cost of the part is around the 50ish UKP. Speak to Phil Stewart at 'Road & Race',Shoreham, Kent for further info.

Just a guess mind you!

This might be completely off the wall, mine had similar symptoms causing me despair at the cost of a new gearbox etc, turns out to be the plate covering the sparkplugs between the cam shafts, tighten up the two allen bolts holding it down. As I say this may be wrong but it has happenend to lots of people and mine certainly sounded like the gearbox / clutch.

Good luck

Si

Si (and thanks to Peter, Chris & FH) - you're right! Actually discovered this last night, then got to my desk this am and saw your post. The odd thing is that it sounds nothing like a vibration, and everything like something rotating. Also could have sworn that the noise originated much further back. Anyway, lessons learned.

Thanks again.