Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Radiator Fan - Replacement

Burt1969

Hi all, before you ask I have scoured the search for tech talk and couldn't see any obvious answers. I have recently aquired a 1985 1600 Xflow SuperSprint and perched between the grill and the rad is an ugly inaffective yellow fan. Has anyone replaced these with an alternative and did you move it to the engine side of the rad so that it sucked air through rather than blowing? Any advice appreciated.

Many thanks,

May the best of your past be the worst of your future.

Hi Peeps, bouncing this up again as I got stuck in traffic yesterday and had to sit with the heater on full blast, thought my feet were going to melt. Any assistance greatly appreciated *thumbup*

• Support Team

Burt,

It would seem that no one else has been through this issue so I'll try and help a bit. I have replaced the radiator on my car (1997 Superlight) to improve cooling and it may be that the radiator is the problem on your car - they can get clogged up, the fins get crushed, etc. I recently helped a someone fit a new rad to an '89 crossflow and that has the big fan on the engine side of the rad - the fan is pretty bulky but seems to do the job OK.

There is no reason why you shouldn't replace the fan first but they aren't as cheap as you might think. Caterhams now come fitted with a fan that bolts to the radiator (engine side) and as long as your radiator has the 4 mounting brackets then there is no reason why you shouldn't use this standard part. There is also an R500 fan which I think fits on the front of the radiator (blows through) - this might be overkill though.

I'd give Caterham a ring and see what they suggest.

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

• Support Team

Yep - just over ninety is about right for the fan to kick in. Stuck in traffic it wouldn't be unusual to see the temperature reach over 100 - as long it doesn't go much higher and returns as soon as you are under way then you probably don't have a problem. If you consistently get very high temperatures then you probably should look at replacing the radiator. Caterham do an ali road version or you could get a Radtec as I have which has more cooling capacity. Caterham do a triple pass race radiator as well but that is a)expensive and b)some people say it could reduce water flow. Any of these radiators can have the newer style cooling fans attached to them.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Hmm had a proper look tonight and don't think I will get a fan to fit engine side as the cross member is in the way but I still think an upgrade to the fan is an option, even if I change the bright yellow one for a black one 😬