Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Exhaust Silencers - Noise Levels

pete tudor

Help Guys!!

I need to fit a new side exit silencer as part of my conversion to zetec and do not know which silencer I should get to give me less than the 105dBA @ 0.5m required at some sprint events (Castle Coombe etc).

Has anyone got any recommendations to use 5"/6"/7" caterham or alternative repackable type to use?

I know that my old 4" caterham silencer gave me approx 106-108dBA with my old X-flow.

Whatever you do, make sure you get a repackable one. I have a very good condition, 5 year old, non-repackable, stainless steel exhaust on my Zetec. Unfortunately it's now blown all the packing out and is 105db plus - I'm about to chuck it out, or make a sculpture from it.

In fact I'm seriously thinking of having 2 repackables, one on the side going into one at the rear. Noise restrictions are only going one way!

Hold on a minute.

I have not taken a standard silencer apart but I assume that it's a perforated tube surrounded by the packing inside the casing cylinder.

What about sawing the end off and repacking. You would need to weld on a flange

overlap sleeve that can be riveted through to the rear end part. Even the perforated tube could be sleeved. Hey presto a repackable exhaust.

I have successfully welded stainless steel with my 130 turbo mig. Works a treat on Argon gas...

Steve, I was given a very good reason why this couldn't be done with any degree of success. I can't remember the reason other than it's something to do with the perforated tube bit. Having said that, it does seem a shame to bin what is a very good condition, stainless steel exhaust - albeit without any packing.

Cut a hole in the side of the can, re-stuff it through the hole, then beat a piece of ali to fit over the hole, smear it with firegum and clamp it in place with some F-off big jubilee clips (like the ones that hole the guard on). Not done this myself but heard of someone else (in Oz) who has.

Mike

Pete,

I've just ditched my old silencer in favour of a Techcraft 6" repackable silencer on my x/flow. This has reduced the noise levels from 105db to 97db. And it looks pretty sexy too as I've had the exhaust pipes polished as well.

Chris Alston

Se7ening - it's all miles and smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif