Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Handling and Track tips

Michael Scholtz

Is there a web site with some tips for track day setups on my 7.

I was under the Impresion that I was quick untill I saw a review in a local mag with everytrhing from a focus RS (ok Fair enough) to a BMW 318Ti being quicker around the track and that by about 10 - 20 Sec. This may have had something to do with me never being on a track prior to this but hell, a TDI Polo should not be 10 seconds quicker If I had a flat tyre and only 3 spark plugs.

I know I can Adjust the Dampers and Tyre preasures, and that it makes a huge difference to handling. But the front to back relationship if perplexing.

I need to know what to adjust to make a relevant change Also a review on tyres would help some.

Birkin S3 Ford Kent 1600 Weber 40's

Ermmm, presumably you mean quicker around the SAME track?

You should be quicker than all of those things on a dry track. Maybe you should drive a bit faster... don't know it's available where you are, but all the track days I've been on have had the option of some tuition - which is well worth taking, so that you are more comfortable to explore the limits of your car.

BTW - it's not something I recommend regularly, but something which was really good for my learning process was to spin it on a track, through trying too hard. Then you know you've found the limit and can work on how it feels so you know you're reaching the limit and how to be smoother etc...

If you were really going for it and still slower than all the cars you mentioned, I'd give up and take up stamp collecting instead 😬

Hi

The best upgrade is the nut behind the wheel. Any 7 is a fast car if you can use it properly. I have done a few courses and they have all made a difference to smoothness, control (as in being in...) and speed. The last one was with Don Palmer... when the penny dropped .. well wow! Great fun.

Vehicle upgrades made after driver tuition make a bigger difference.

The main thing is just to keep having fun... and not bending it *biggrin*

Cheers

Iain

I have ben made to work quite hard to catch up with instructors driving (usualy) bog standard rental tin tops. Time in the seat is essential, only with that can you build confidence. Instruction is a VERY good idea (at any level of driving experience).

I have driven very few Sevens that are so badly set up as to not be able to put in a very respectable performance.

Having said all that, tyres play a major part in lap times....what tyres were the "competition" running ?