Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bonnet Mods- advice please

captain chaos

My K&N's have got to go and I want an ITG.

I am going to make a bigger hole in my bonnet for the foam air filter and Mr Wong has suggested curved tin snips to cut the Ali. (I must admit he's done quite a good job on his car, he obviously get's the practice at work smile.gif

What other methods/tools have blatters used and can you offer any tips, apart from mark out the hole first!

Thanks

I use a drill attachment called a Nibbler which I picked up at a car show a few years ago (it might have been Stoneleigh). It "nibbles" small slices off and doesn't distort the ali or leave marks. I think it cost about UKP 10 - 15.

Dave H

I understand from a mate of mine, that you can get a reasonable "hand-job" from the King's cross area in London. Rumour has it that you can pick one up from as little and 5 pounds !!

Failing that, I have no idea ;-)

Cap'n,

Return edges - takes time and you need to make up some simple tools.

I have done this to the carb opening in bonnet, exhaust exit and a few other places, whenever I do it I am amazed at how long it takes and, having had lots of practice, results are almost indistinguishable from factory returns.

Cut hole undersize - leaving say 5mil extra for a return edge. Hand operated monodex cutter is best.

Make up a tool like a chunky screwdriver with a very fat/blunt blade, the trick is to cut a slot (longways in the end of the blade) that is a clearance fit for the particular guage of ally, with the slot depth being the size of the actual return - with me so far?

Work round the cut edge gradually bending, a little at a time, you may have to go right round 4 or five times. The tool will not completely finish the job, a rubber or leather hammer can be used to completely close up the return (resting the other side on a suitable padded surface).

Best advice, practice a lot on spare ally, take time to get the tool dead right. You might end up with a selection of tools, a narrow blade manages tighter curves but takes longer, short shaft and some crank on the shaft helps soemtimes. Grind a point on the holding part of the shaft and fit a wooden file handle. Just Don't rush it.

Good luck

Regards

Allen

Edited by - allen on 5 Jun 2001 10:55:54