Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Head gasket failure checks.

Chris__

Got high oil and water temperature for the first time this evening. No thermostat and water temp barely registers normally. 80 deg this eve. Oil hovers around 70, is normally 60-70. What should I be doing to determine whether I have the dreaded HGF...? Car is a VHPD K series rebuilt only 2.5k ago ☹️

Edited by - Chris__ on 14 May 2004 20:32:50

Easiest test to see if the head gasket is on its way out is to first remove the bonnet.

Check to see if on the cam cover (the very top part of the engine) the words "Twincam 16 valve" are embossed.

Another tell tale sign is that the build manual refers to a "K" series engine.

If this is the case then more than likely you have a headgasket problem or will have in a short while.

Looking after your environment - whether you like it or not! *tongue*

'Easiest' but not cheapest method is to get a sample of the coolant checked at a garage - might cost you £40 according to someone in the Worcs crowd, but basicallly, it analyses the coolant for exhaust byproducts.

No messing, no arguments - if there are e-byproducts in there, you're on your way out.

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

I will be absolutly amazed if the HG has gone.

The only thing you have seen is the *normal* running temp as the weather is a bit warmer.

80c is fine.

If you see mayo in the oil or you are getting surge in the water then sure its HG - but you are not - so its very unlikley.

If you are going to use the car for just road use mailnly then fit a thermostat, then the oil and water will sit at about 80c all the time.

Cheers

Simon. *thumbup*