Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R300 - Trackday mods?

MikeE

Not for me but a mate has finally seen the light and bought himself a 6 month old R300 from Caterham.

Before he'd even picked it up he was already asking my advice re. upgrades. So he wants to know:

1. Is it worth changing the 15" wheels to 13" given the cost and there's obviously issues like change in gearing, so is it worth while?

2. If not, he wants to get a spare set of 15" and fit A048s, can you get these in the appropriate size for 15" R300 wheels? Are they a good dry weather track tyre in this size (he already has 15" CR500s for wet weather and road use),

3. Any other tyre recommendations (road legal as no trailer)? - I'd recommend ACB10s but then you need to change the geometry which isn't really practical,

4. Is it worth getting the cat bipass pipe? How much power does it liberate? Are you then marginal for trackday noise tests? (is it marginal with the cat?

5. With tillets, FIA bar and an anti-cav tank is there any must have mods/upgrades he should get before venturing on track?

R400 Duratec 230bhp *cool*

Edited by - MikeE on 14 May 2004 12:02:59

• Support Team

If he wants a spare set of wheels anyway then it would make sense to go 13" for track use as the tyres will be cheaper than for 15" - keep the 15's for road use. A048R are a good tyre (I'm currently running them for road and track) but if it were only for dry track you could also use A032R.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Upgrades I would consider are :

Dry sump

Uprate the road spec suspension

uprate the front brake pads to even out the brake ballance

Change to 13" wheels and 48R's - he doesnt need any more grip with only 160bhp

Change the silencer if he wants to do 98Db trackdays

Fit aero screen if he doesnt have one .

6 point harness

There arent any *must haves* in my opinion apart from decent helmet , roll bar padding and possibly overalls .

Dave

upgrades none what so ever stick him in it and let him hoon round a track till he smiles himslef to death

then driver upgrades then once he can dive the car to 50% of what it can do then more money on upgrades

Blatting round aberdeen wondering wether to buy a jumper or heater

i found 15" quite nasty on teh road... lots fo wander and wheels seemed to have a mind of their own esp. under hard acceleration. 13" are way way better IMO.

dont personally like CR500's that much ..... id go for something cheaper for road use where less grip = much more fun . On teh track if you canot go slicks then go ACB10, they are an incredible tyre if a little expensive.

i have 15" cr500's. they aint cheap, but ive got a wee bit more life left after 4 trackdays and 10k+ road miles. no joke. this seems to go a fair bit past most peoples expectations of mileage life, but maybe somone put a 1.4 under the bonnet when i wasnt looking!

i have heard 13" cr500's have a different compound, so maybe its those that wear more quickly?

twice the mileage and twice the price equals the same cost, n'est pas? *thumbup*