Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Foam baffles again!

stevefoster

Due for my first VXC baffle change.

Have read all related treads here and the mailing list. Should be no problem.

Intend to use recommeded Comma synerG again as oil....

I thought the parts were ok price at £14 for baffle and £8.95 each for gaskets...

Steve

I did the baffle change a few weeks back, and a change from Mobil 1 to Comma Syner G oil. Straight forward job except for juggling the gaskets, windage plate and sump back into place and getting a couple of screws back in,to hold it all up.

Only problem I had was getting the bolts out which locate the pickup pipe in place, which has to be removed to change the gaskets. The bolts are 10mm and one is quite awkward to reach unless you have a long and narrow socket.....I had to scrounge one from a neighbour!

When you replace these bolts they should be loctited back although getting all the surfaces oil free is a bit tricky!

I found having a spare scissor jack useful to hold the sump back in situ, whilst locating the bolts into the block at the end of the job.

I also used blue Hylomar gasket cement..non-setting...chiefly to hold the gaskets in place during the reassembly stage. Sealant isn't really necessary but is helpful!!

Any problems please contact me.

Yours is an XE isn't it, he asks after rambling on...........

Andrew

Have never figured out which pet shop keeps the elephant loufre that doubles as a sump baffle! Seems a lot of money for a bit of foam. It probably comes in as packing from one of the various other parts suppliers!!

It works though so I shouldn't moan too much!!!

Yes XE.

The foam & gaskets arrived today. Good old next day Caterham service!

The foam is shaped with hole cut for pick up.

It's like a plasic scourer in texture. These cost £1 each and the baffle is easily

as big a 14 of them.. that's how I can justify the price to the wife at any rate!

Steve

Another thing, quite a large thing actually, is to make sure that you actually have the windage plate, which is a large sump sized plate that sits between the sump and the block.

Aparently not all Xes are fitted with them and the general consensus is that they should be. They press the foam down and keep it well out of the way of the crank......a good idea!

Should you need one, I have a brand new one lying in my garage...................

Don' get too oily!!

Andrew

Andrew,

Will have sump off tommorrow and see.

Would love to have yours if I don't have one.. My oil pressure is so consistent

even with slicks on I think I must have...

Having see n the famous foam I am sure it could be replaced with an identical structured block of stainless or ali webbing. This would have the same drainage / retention properties and not need the b£$%$dy sump off so regularly.

I will look into this possibility.

On oils and foam break up

James W wrote this to me on oils and foam

"Hi Steve

The only 'problem' with non Caterham recommended oils is changing from

mineral to synthetic or vice versa which seems to harden the foam but we

don't know which manufacture's oil is causing the trouble or if it's a mix

of different makes.

I would change the foam and stick with one make and monitor the foam

condition

James"