Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Leaking K-Series water rail

SLR No.77

• Leadership Team

I'm in the middle of doing a full service etc before Le mans, and I've discovered coolant leaking from the water rail (I think!). Suspect place is on the underside directly opposite one of the sender bosses - around the point of the rearward-most exhaust bolt (set-screw). There's evidence of coolant down the side of the block, and the bolt is holding coolant. There isn't yet any noticeable coolant loss from the system.

Is there a suitable method of fixing a hole - braising etc, or is replacement the only option? Also, is it necessary to source the original item or will the later one fit? I seem to recall the water rail was modified partly due to occurences of splitting?

There's a "wanted" posted if anybody has a spare?

Stu.

Edited by - sforshaw on 11 May 2004 21:51:46

Stu

Not sure I know the answer about the water rail. Hopefully you will be able to fix it before Le Mans. I'm sure someboby will be along soon with the answer.

Sad to say that I found a coolant leak in that corner last week, but from block /head joint due to HG failure. *mad*

Should be running again tomorrow. *wink*

Malcolm

Hi Stu - don't panic yet - if it is like the one I had - pictures here then it is just a matter or replacing the gasket between the water rail and head. Its a simple job, but you will need to refill/bleed the coolant again afterwards.

If the water rail itself, then I guess it is a new one, but ISTR that leaking from gaskets here is not uncommon.

'My First Race - SPA' pictures

here

60,000miles in 3years

• Leadership Team

I need to drain the system anyway to fit a Laminova, so I'll take it off and give it a good inspection before jumping in and renewing it.

Angus, I do have similar stains on the block - mine are green from Comma Coldstreem, but I also have a wet area on the underside of the rail above the stains - this is why I suspect the rail rather than the gasket *thumbdown*

Dave - front 90% of rail is totally dry, so no problems there.

Stu.

It does appear to be a bit of an achilles heel and replacement runs about £40

Erm, I don't think so...

Mav checked up the price of the current k-rail a month or so back (when we sheared the head off one of the senders... and it was more like £100...

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

• Leadership Team

Mav doesn't seem to be having much luck with senders then *confused*

Water rail's now off, and excepting a little flaking and bubbling of the coating, there appears to be no reason why it should leak. Assumption is therefore that it is indeed the gasket - I think belt & braces this time with a little hylomar may be the order of the day *thumbup*

Thanks for theradvice *cool*

Stu.

It didn't help Mav when some anonymous muppet had previously done the sender up too tight.... *wink* 😳

...personally, I blame the sender (it was slightly corroded inside) - and they don't have any friends to stick up for them either (soft target...)

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

• 10 months later...

Chris, I unscrewed the two bolts slightly and re-torqued them @ 10 N.m. But it still is leaking.

I plan now to replace the gasket.

Can I use it dry ?

Also, I can recall a problem I had in the past on the lower bolt which I cross- threaded slightly. I re-shaped the thread with a tap, and was able to torque the bolt normally. Now I am concerned that I will have to use a helicoil. Probably M6 ?

Humm I am concerned about re-drilling in such an awkward place and the hole must absolutely be square to the head of course...

Any web site to buy Helicoil at a low price ?

Cheers!

Pierre

Pierre,

I have recently had a similar problem, have you checked that the water rail flange is perfectly flat, mine's wasn't.

After the flange had been milled true the joint tightened down and stopped leaking. It's probably also worth torqueing the flange down before the bolt in the middle of the water rail and maybe using a couple or three washers to pack it out if it's out of position.

Paul

REAL POWER FROM HELLIER PERFORMANCE