Click here if you are having website access problems ×

X-Flow AX block

Noel Mclaughlin

I remember reading somewhere that Ford paid out to have the 711m x/flow block strenthened as part of a Diesel project that nearly made it to production hence the revisions that became the AX. I guess they had spent so much money they thought that they had better put it to good use ! Having said that I bet the number of changes are not that great. Perhaps if RK is reading this he could let us have his view on why the AX is better than the other versions ? ie are they more reliable when tuned ?

Steve Foster and DaveH have this one correct. Caterham have used this block since around 1989, so it's not that rare.

The earlier 711M block is also extremely strong, but usually won't go to 1800ccm safely, whereas the AX usually will. The AX is also heavier.

Pre 711M blocks are usually best avoided for serious tuning.

Steve Foster and DaveH have this one correct. Caterham have used this block since around 1989, so it's not that rare.

The earlier 711M block is also extremely strong, but usually won't go to 1800ccm safely, whereas the AX usually will. The AX is also heavier.

Pre 711M blocks are usually best avoided for serious tuning.