Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Replacement alternator- suggestions pls.

John Whyman

My alternator finally started to make funny bearing type noises today so have decided to change it. sad.gif

Current incumbent is a Bosch 45 amp in a 1700x/f Supersprint.

Does anyone recommend anything different to the Bosch, apart from weight only considerations, and if so what and the advantages please.?

The car is a standard road car with no extras and will remain that way.(until I win the lottery and get an R500)

Your input much appreciated.

Happy motoring thumbsup.gif.

Hi John,

not withstanding finding out if it is the belt or pulley slipping etc When my alternator gave up the ghost I took it to my local motor supply shop who gave me a pattern replacement (for Ford crossflow installation) which was about 2" shorter and way lighter but with the same bolt pattern and connectors. Works fine. Cost £25 (exchange)

Cheers, Simon.

Andrew, it made terminal noises this morning and shattered something inside, in other words it seized.

Have got a replacement/recon 55 amp Bosch for £40. All now seems fine, in fact its so fine I'm off for a blat this lovely evening.

Simos, my local accessory shop still stocks dynamos for 1930's Austins and could not help with a pattern replacement. Had to go to one of the bigger lads in the huge Metropolis of Glastonbury to find one off the shelf.

Thanx for all your advice/

Happy motoring thumbsup.gif.