Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil pressure worries

Delberts Wallet

Just recently my oil pressure has started to drop below 4 bar when using some revs and 0-1 bar when at Idle. I have also noticed a whinning noise from the engine and was wondering if the two are connected and what I can do about the oil pressure.

Any ideas?

Gareth

I can get 4 people in my 7 wink.gif

I noticed a whininhg noise on my K series about 18 months when engine revved at stand still, although the noise appears to be intermittant. I had my caterham dealer look at it and was told i was being paranoid and all was O.K (suprise suprise it did not whine when I took it in!).

I have had no probelms with the engine, but am also getting the fealing that over time my oil pressure under revs is not as high as it used to be (originally 2.5-3bar, and now down to 2.0 - 2.5bar depending on oil temp). I'm trying to convinve myself the oil gauge is not that accurate, but suspect there may well be trouble looming for the future???

Any idea's?

You're not the only one. Last summer I had the oil pressure drop to the levels you describe (mine was a steady 4 bar before this). Took it to a local shop who assured me that it looked fine. Then a month later a bearing went (rebuild time).

Now don't get too paranoid, this could easily be a standalone example - my engine is uprated, I didn't have the apollo tank at the time and I was pushing quite hard when it happened.

More strange findings - after 1st rebuild same lousy pressure. Took it apart again and new bearings. Now pressure was 6-7 bar when cold, never seen that much before. 4 bar when hot. After a couple of days the pressure dropped again. Changed from 10W40 oil to 10W60, much better but still a tad low for my liking.

Have you recently changed to a different brand of oil?

Also Daren Ball had some similar problems and he cured it with a good clean of the pressure relief valve. I haven't tried that yet but will soon.

Tor Atle

I had this several times on my VHPD. Each time a new oil pressure sensor did the trick. A good first place to start. Mr Carmichael was so rough on my car at Brooklands that the OP gauge could only read full (8bar) in protest!! :=))

Graham

Only joking Peter